Friday, June 29, 2012

Friday is JUDE Day!

I have to laugh because I created this list where I wrote the books of the Bible so I could check one off as I completed it... well today I got to check off Rude... ahem, I mean Jude. I wrote it as Rude on my check list. LOL, oh well, gave me a laugh.

Today I got to check off Jude! This week I did add John to my list so here's my book completion so far...
  • Genesis
  • Exodus
  • 1 Kings
  • Esther
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Hosea
  • JOHN
  • Ephesians
  • TITUS
  • PHILEMON
  • James
  • 1 Peter
  • 2 Peter
  • 1 JOHN
  • 2 JOHN
  • 3 JOHN
  • JUDE
I have a ways to go so I'll probably be doing this again sometime soon (I'll pick a less crazy week). Thanks for doing this with me! It did keep me motivated to actually DO IT!

Here's my notes on Jude:

Author: Jude - he calls himself a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James. I know very, very little about Jude so I had to look him up. I didn't put together until looking him up that his full name is Judah (duh), and there were 2 in the 12 disciples. One betrayed Jesus and the other was His brother. So Jude is Jesus' brother (of Mary and Joseph). I'm amazed that instead of boasting of being "related" to Jesus He instead states that he is His SERVANT. How many of us would honestly say that we are a servant of (insert siblings name here)? It's obvious Jude truly understands being Christ-like and Jesus' purpose here on earth.

Audience: "To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ..." (vs 1) Those that believe in their hearts and confess with their mouth that Jesus is God is the audience here... so it's to Christians.

Purpose: "I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." (vs 3) That's my guess. Simply because he's telling us why he's writing this letter. PLUS, the entire letter points back to this - that we, as Christians, need to contend (fight, push for, battle) for the truth found in Jesus Christ. He died ONCE for our sins and it was delivered to all those who believe that He is God. Anyone who teaches differently - beware of them.

Observations & Applications:
  • Verse 4 Jude talks about people who will come into Christians lives denying Jesus Christ (how true this is for us today and how long ago was this written?) and that we must be prepared to fight for the truth: that Jesus is GOD, He did die for our sins, He is the creator, He will come back!
  • In verses 5-7 Jude reminds us of events written about in the Old Testament that serve as reminders (or examples) of what happens when we deny God: Sodom and Gomorrah, the Devil who was cast out of heaven, etc. They denied God and will therefore, undergo "... a punishment of eternal fire." (vs 7)
  • I highlighted 1:10 "But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively." because I'm reminded that God said he placed it in the hearts of all human beings, of all animals, of the trees, and everything of the earth to know that there is a God.
  • I'm not sure that I really understand verses 12 -13... anyone?
  • We know that judgement day is coming and Christians are called to persevere, because our hope is not of this world. He reminds us that there will be "scoffers" and "worldly people" who are not of God that will cause divisions. We are called to build "yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life." (vs 21) I highlighted that verse as well!
  • I like Jude's reflection or praise he gives to God at the end, verse 24, "Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen."
Jesus Christ, because of his -sinless- time here on earth and becoming the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, once and for all, because He can present HIS BLOOD as an atonement for our sins, He definitely deserves the glory, majesty, domionion and authority, before time existed and now and forever, just as Jude proclaimed. AMEN. What a great way to end this week of Bible study!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you mentioned his time on Earth at the end. We talked in Bible study a few weeks ago how most people only ever mentioned that he died for us...many never mention that he also LIVED for us. It's good to see someone mentioning both!

    ReplyDelete