Wednesday, July 18, 2012

12 Ways I Plan to Be a Frugal Mommy

We are down to one paycheck soon, so we know we need to start pinching pennies. Since my job is now being a stay-at-home mom, frugality is now at the top of my "to do" list. Here's a few of the ways I'm going to be a frugal Mommy starting... NOW:
  1. Buy paper towels or disinfectant wipes, not both. I saw this great idea on how to make your own wipes for every area of your house, if I find that wipes are necessary, I'll make them myself: DIY Wipes. Until then, I'll use bleach water and paper towels or rags to clean the surfaces of my home.
  2. Make my own bread. I was given a bread machine, I have at least 5 loaf pans, and I have a friend who does this weekly and has saved what she has called "gobs of money" each month. She's going to teach me.
  3. Ride my bike or walk. It's a small town and I have a basket on the front end of my bike in case I need to run to the store for something (this also forces me to not walk away with bags of items I don't necessarily need and don't want to carry all the way home). The exercise will be an added bonus.
  4. Buy in bulk. The grocery store in town is expensive so Kyle and I drive 45 minutes to the nearest "city" to buy our groceries at a King Soopers. I plan dinner meals 2-3 weeks in advance so that trip isn't one we have to make very often, and I don't have to run to the local store to get what we need very often either.
  5. Freeze our milk. Milk in town is expensive and we go through it like crazy, so I can't imagine adding kids to the mix. Instead of buying one gallon at the store, we buy 3-4 and freeze it.
  6. Plan breakfast meals instead of buying boxed cereal. (This also means getting my butt out of bed in the morning.) It's so much better for you and it's so much cheaper. I can make homemade granola if I need a sweet cereal kick, add a little bit of honey... yum.
  7. Make my own snacks. We eat a lot of fruit (which isn't something we are going to cut back on, just buy what's in season...) but the other items I enjoy snacking on are granola bars, fruit snacks, popcorn, etc. I've pinned so many recipe ideas on Pinterest for all of the above! What isn't better homemade anyway?
  8. Make my own baby food (when the time comes). My sister has done this with both of her boys and she swears by it. Not only did it save her money but she knew exactly what her kids were eating. I plan to steal her ideas.
  9. Around the house use cloth diapers and rubber pants. My mom did it, my aunt did it, and they both swear by it. Their advice: when you travel use the disposable diapers, but at home, do the laundry, it's worth the money you save. My mother also told me to "invest in a clothes line." Mothers tend to know best and I'm not afraid of some hard work, so I'm more than willing to try and my mom says she'll teach me.
  10. Grow a garden. We spend so much money each month on fruits and vegetables! This is one area I know will help immensely. But I have never grown a garden before. I've helped my mom, but never paid that much attention to how to plant, when to plant, preparing the soil, etc. I know I need to plan and prepare ahead of time and I also know that, again, I'll need someone to teach me. I think of myself as having a black thumb instead of a green one. So far I have managed to keep the lone tomato plant we bought this year alive, maybe I can do this? Still, I'm glad I have a poor teacher/friend lined up. This sight helped me as well, it provides a chart detailing what vegetables and fruits are successful in your area, when to plant them, care for them, and when to harvest them: The Vegetable Garden
  11. Be a Coupon-er! I walk right by the little stand that offers the deals of the week or month every time we go to the grocery store. Well, not anymore! Plus there's a ton of sights out there to help out in this arena:
  12. No more ziplock bags! Use our plethora of storage containers, bag clips, and the plastic "wraps" pictured below (that I can't think of what they're called, but you find packs of them at Dollar General for $1). They look like shower caps and they work so much better than saran wrap that fails to stick to anything but itself. Plus these are easy to use and reuse, because they are so easy to clean, and they're so cheap to replace. This is also an environmentally friendly way to reduce plastic usage.
    There's different sizes, but the largest one fits nicely over a watermelon cut in half.
    

6 comments:

  1. Kaylee (Troxel) GibsonJuly 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

    Becky, there is also a great book for bread that makes it super easy. There is Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Or Healthy Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day. I think that you'd really like this woman's website. I am not a mommy, but I follow her all the time. She stays at home with their daughter and is REALLY good at saving money AND making life easier and a higher quality in so many ways! She is great!

    http://mamaandbabylove.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also heard that making your own laundry and hand soaps saves lots of money :)

      Kaylee

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely check it out.

      Delete
  2. I made all of Jadyn's baby food, and when I tried to give her a jar when I was in a pinch she HATED it! It is SOO easy and it makes the transition to table food a lot smoother. I think that's why she's such a great eater now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cloth diapers are totally not what your mom used to use! They are awesome!!! You. An use them full time I promise. We've used them since M was 6 weeks old and love them! If you wana some info let me know-I have a little on my blog: logette.blogspot.com but am always willing to answer questions! Jess uses them too. It is a little intimidating at first but totally worth it-and Ivan use homemade soap to wash them with but might wanna tweak ur regular recipe a bit. A anyway I think you should consider full time cloth diapering too-can save you over $1000 just by doing that. And definitely nurse as long as possible-formulas expensive! Great ideas and I'm sure you'll get more as you see how your life actually changes with the little one and what works best for you. We've made the small change to using cloth napkins and I'm hoping to be a paper towel free house soon but we've at least cut down on them by using towels & just washing them like you mentioned and just asking-do I really need a paper towel for this or could I use a plate/rag/washcloth/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention... just make in bulk and freeze in ice cube trays, then put in ziploc baggies. Also, just use a regular old food process. No need to buy the baby bullet or whatever it's called and all of the storage containers. Some may say it's harder to travel with homemade food, but it's really not at all when you freeze them in cubes, which is enough for one serving when they are just starting out with food.

    ReplyDelete