Monday, July 2, 2012

Independence Day Decorations!

Pinterest has been both dangerous in terms of the amount of time I waste on it, and useful because I find inspiration in projects others have shared.

I found this July 4 Patriotic Wood Wreath pinned via someone I follow and decided since I don't really have any Patriotic decorations of my own, I'd create my own version of this unique decoration: Scrap Wood Patriotic Star Wreath.

The difference was simple. I didn't have a little flag and a little jaunt down to Dollar General to get one wasn't high on my priority list in this heat, so I improvised with red, white, and blue ribbon. Basically, I used what I already owned. It's so easy to do that because I pick up small items I find in dollar sections or clearance racks that catch my eye, that way if I'm suddenly inspired, I have stuff on hand.

I used sticks instead of craft wood, those are always on hand. I just bent them to approximately the same size. I didn't try to hard to make them perfectly even. The more rustic the better.
Even after hot glueing them together, I also used twine to help hold the joints in place. That was one purpose, but it also added so much to it!
After the twine I took three different types of ribbon in red, white and blue and made individual ribbons, twined them together and hot glued it to the star.
Once the ribbon was hot glued in place, I had some left over red "twirly grass stuff" broke it into the sizes I wanted and hot glued them on as well. Here is my final project: (Thank you Adina for the inspiration - her blog is called My Simple Country Life!)
It was fun, quick and easy. Have a happy and safe 4th of July! Celebrate your independence and don't forget to thank those who are serving us and have served us so that we can continue to enjoy our freedom. We all know that without their selfless service we wouldn't be where we are today, so THANK YOU! God bless you and God bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment