Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 11 is Obadiah Day!

My New Years Resolution is to read the Bible through this year. I'm well on my way to doing that thanks to you! I've been using my down time (since deciding to be a stay at home mom) to catch up on some reading since I know that reading daily will become difficult once my little girl arrives come September. If you are interested in joining me, be my guest!

Read the Bible in a Year Plan
Old Testament Daily Readings
*Please, do not forget that these are my initial observations. DO NOT take what I write for absolute truth. I am human! My goal is to read the Bible through in a year and reading a book a day does not allow for thorough study. These are my OBSERVATIONS.

My Notes on Obadiah:

First of all, you cannot completely understand this book without first reading the story of Esau and Jacob, Isaac and Rebekah's twin sons in Genesis 25 starting in verse 19 to chapter 36. There's A LOT of history there that won't make sense in Obadiah without first understanding their story. So I'll briefly explain their story before going over Obadiah: Esau was the oldest of the twin brothers, but when they were born Jacob came out of the womb grasping Esau's heel. As they grew up Esau was Isaac's favorite and Jacob Rebekah's favorite. Esau sold the birthright to his brother Jacob for a cup of red stew (Genesis 25:29-30), so his name was changed to Edom meaning red. Jacob also stole the oldest son's blessing from Esau, and had to run because Esau was threatening to kill him.... it's a great story. Read it! :)

Obadiah means "servant of the Lord" and I'm assuming that he is a prophet, who is sharing the word of the Lord through a vision, about Edom (Esau's country). (Read the bolded statement from above.)

I summed up the sections like this...

Verses 2-9: Pride = Fall
  • The country of Edom is pretty much doomed. This is what God says concerning Edom...
    • verse 2 "...I will make you small among nations..." "... you shall be utterly despiesd..."
    • verse 4 "though you soar aloft like the eagle, though your nest is set among the stars, from there I will bring you down, declares the Lord."
    • verse 7 "All your allies have driven you to your border; those at peace with you have deceived you; they have prevailed against you; those who eat your bread have set a trap benath you..."
    • verse 8 "Will I not on that day, declares the Lord, destroy the wise men out of Edom, and understand out of Mount Esau?"
    • verse 9 "And your might men shall be dismayed..." "... every man from Mount Esau will be cut off by slaughter."
Verses 10-11: The Why
  • verse 10 starts off with 'because,' where God is telling them why they are doomed, "Because of the violence done to your brother Jacob..."
Verses 12-14: Do Not!
  • These people sound prideful! Which is why I summed up verses 2-9 with Pride = Fall, listen to what God tells them not to do, which I'm assuming is what they are known to do (if that makes sense).
    • Do not gloat...
    • Do not rejoice...
    • Do not boast...
Verses 15-18: (In my Bible it's labeled, "The Day of the Lord is Near" which pretty much sums it up.) I also thought of labeling it, "God is in charge of your Karma!"
  • I truly believe in God's sovereignty, simply because of what the Bible says. I'm amazed at how many times I read it over and over again! In this section God tells Edom what will be returned to him because of what he has done - Karma! :) But who is in charge of that? Well, God is.
  • verse 15 "As you have done, it shall be done to you; your deeds shall return on your own head."
  • verse 18 "... there shall be no survivor for the house of Esau, for the Lord has spoken"
Verses 19-21: (In my Bible it's labeled, "The Kingdom of the Lord" which also pretty much sums it up.)
  • It's pretty obvious that the country of Edom was not following the Lord. The very last verse (verse 21) is where God is reclaiming it as his own, "Saviors shall go up to Mount Zion to rule Mount Esau, and the kingdom shall be the Lords."
Join me tomorrow as I read the story of Jonah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment