Thursday, July 19, 2012

Monday is Malachi Day! =)

Today's schedule isn't as busy as I originally thought it'd be, so instead of reading and commenting on Malachi Monday, I decided to do it now. Malachi is the last book of the Old Testament, which means that I'm done with my Old Testament daily readings that I had scheduled for the last two weeks.

This is now the length of my "checked off" list because I decided to read a book a day:
I'm amazed as I look at this list how much I learned by reading each book. I still have a ways to go, but I'm seeing the progress towards completing my New Years resolution of reading the Bible through this year. Thank you for doing it with me!

Join me as I read Malachi, but don't forget that what I write here are my initial observations. This is not a thorough study of Malachi, but rather a read through where I jot down a few notes and observations as I read. Therefore, do not take what I say here as fact.

1:1 By now we should figure out that we need to know the author, audience and purpose. Every single word, phrase, and paragraph is important. We should know what an oracle is after doing our read throughs of Old Testament books, but just in case you're just now joining us, an oracle is a revelation, prophesy, or a vision. God gave this vision to Malachi, whom I'm assuming is a prophet, and the message is for Israel - God's chosen people whom He loves.

1:2-5 Reminds me of a parent, telling a child before disciplining how much he/she is loved, but... what you did was wrong and there will be consequences.

1:6-14 Tells how the priests are offering imperfect sacrifices. A perfect sacrifice is a symbol of Christ who was the PERFECT SACRIFICE once and for all for our sins, and by offering the sacrifice of a blind, lame, or sick animal does not symbolize Christ - who was without sin (or without blemish). "Cursed be the cheat who has a male in his flock, and vows it, and yet sacrifices to the Lord what is blemished. For I am a great King, says the Lord of hosts, and my name will be feared among the nations." (1:14)

2:1-9 God has a lot to say to the Priests and it's not pleasantries. "If you will not listen, if you will not take it to heart to give honor to my name, says the Lord of hosts, then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings." God goes on to say what is expected of a priest, and they have failed to do this: "For the lips of a priest should guard knowledge, and people should seek instruction from his mouth, for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts." (2:7)

Marriage is also highly symbolic of our relationship with Christ, for those who believe in Him as God are His bride. That intimate relationship between a husband and a wife symbolizes the bride/groom relationship with Christ. In 2:13-16 marriage has also been neglected. "Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth. For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the Lord, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless."

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here, but John the Baptist was a messenger on behalf of Christ, he came to "make straight the way of the Lord." (Isaiah 40:3) and the next verse "And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the Lord of Hosts." (3:1) The Lord = Jesus Christ. Is this prophesying the coming of Jesus Christ? It goes back to the symbolism of the perfect sacrifice.... hmmmm.... I'm thinking out loud here... in verse 3:5 God says he will send the prophet Elijah before the day of the Lord, and when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask John the Baptist who he was, they were confused. They thought he was this prophet or Elijah whom this book makes reference. (Read John 1:19-28) This is most definitely something I want to dive further into, perhaps it will be a topic for a future blog... =)

I love 3:6, "For I the Lord do not change..." That is so reassuring to me.

4:10 "For behold the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root or branch. But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts." The coming of Christ is going to be a magnificent day for those who fear Him and put their trust in an unchanging, magnificent God!

Thank you so much for joining me on this incredible journey! I still have a ways to go and my list still seems daunting:
  • Leviticus
  • Numbers
  • Deuteronomy
  • Joshua
  • Judges
  • 1 Samuel
  • 2 Samuel
  • 1 Chronicles
  • 2 Chronicles
  • Nehemiah
  • Job
  • Psalms
  • Proverbs
  • Isiah
  • Jeremiah
  • Lamentations
  • Ezekiel
  • Daniel
  • Amos
  • Matthew
  • Mark
  • Luke
  • Acts
  • 1 Corinthians
  • 2 Corinthians
  • Galatians
  • Philippians
  • Colossians
  • 1 Thessalonians
  • 2 Thessalonians
  • 1 Timothy
  • 2 Timothy
  • Hebrews
  • Revelation
I have no doubt you'll be hearing from me again in the near future. I'm sure I'll be setting up a schedule to continue down that road of accountability, however, I don't think it would be wise to try and read and write on these books in one day! Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment