Monday, July 16, 2012

Today is Habakkuk Day!

This week I have scheduled Habbakkuk, Zephaniah, and Haggai to read. We'll pick it up on Monday, the 23rd with Malachi and then we'll be done with the short Old Testament books! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check out my other blogs that show progress on my New Years Resolution of reading the Bible through in a year and join me as I learn what God's word has to say....

Read the Bible in a Year Plan
Old Testament Daily Readings
I've really enjoyed this undertaking for many reasons. I've been able to grow in my relationship with Christ by learning about Him - go figure - He's every where! For once in my life I'm on the verge of actually completing a New Years Resolution! Haha. And I've found that spending time in God's word is a great way of overcoming boredom as I wait for our little girl to arrive in September, because God's word is anything but boring, I'm finding that I love it!

Before you read my notes on Habakkuk remember that they are just that: NOTES. These are my initial observations of the book, it is not a thorough, in depth study, so please take what I say with that little piece of knowledge in the back of your mind.

My Notes on Habakkuk:

1:1 "The oracle that Habakkuk the prophet saw." We can learn a lot about Habakkuk just from the first line: 1. Habakkuk is an oracle, a revelation, prophecy, vision; and 2. Habakkuk is a prophet of God.

Habakkuk is arranged by Habakkuk complaining, then God answering:
  • Complaint: Habakkuk has a complaint in 1:2-4 that sounds similar to a lot of ours, How long shall I cry for help? Are you listening to me God? Why are you ignoring all the bad stuff in the world? Why do the wicked prosper?
  • Answer: I like God's answer in verse 5, "... I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." Basically we need to trust and understand that God is in control and He knows exactly what He's doing and why. God tells Habakkuk that He is raising up the Chaldeans (which he calls a bitter and hasty nation) to seize everything around them. (1:5-11)
    • History Lesson: the Chaldeans were Babylonians (remember the locusts from Joel? enemies of Israel?), from what I understand they were known for worshiping the moon-god.
  • Complaint: Then Habakkuk complains again in verses 12-17, from what I gather Habakkuk wonders how long the Chaldeans will be allowed to "mercilessly kill nations". We are no different than Habakkuk because he asks if they will be allowed to do this forever? (Which is what it seems like to us...)
  • Answer: In verse 3 it is a reminder that everything happens in GOD'S TIMING, not our own, because God answer's, "For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end - it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay."
    • Verse 14 explains why God is doing what He's doing and when He's doing it, remember everything is for HIS glory! "For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea."
    • 2:18-20 kinda make me giggle in terms of people actually praying and worshiping a thing made by MAN, it's so true: "What profit is an idol when its maker has shaped it, a metal image, a teacher of lies? For its maker trusts in his own creation when he makes speechless idols! Woe to him who says to a wooden thing, Awake; to a silent stone, Arise! Can this teach? Behold, it is overlaid with gold and silver, and there is no breath at all in it. But the Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth keep silence before him."
    • In verses 6-20 God describes what the Chaldeans will have to endure for their sin, here's some of my favorites:
      • (2:8) "Because you have plundered many nations, all the remnant of the peoples shall plunder you..."
      • (2:16) "The cup in the Lord's right hand will come around to you, and utter shame will come upon your glory!"
Chapter 3 ends with Habbakuk's revelation and prayer of praise!
  • Verses 2-16 show God's power, here's some of my favorites:
    • "... the eternal mountains were scattered; the everlasting hills sank low. His were the everlasting ways." (3:6)
    • "... the mountains saw you and writhed..." (3:10)
    • "The sun and moon stood still in their place..." (3:11)
    • "You trampled the sea with your horses, the surging of mighty waters." (3:15)
  • Habakkuk fears the Lord and waits for his promise! "I hear, and my body trembles; my lips quiver at the sound; rottenness enters into my bones; my legs tremble beneath me. Yet I will quietly wait for the day of trouble to come upon people who invade us." (3:16)
  • I love Habakkuk's prayer of praise in verses 17-19, for although all these bad things were happening right at that moment in his life, "... I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places." That needs to be our prayer in times of trouble as well. Habakkuk and his people were being invaded by the Chaldeans, from verse 17 it sounds like the fields were not producing, and there was no flock in the fields, yet he praised God for his faithfulness, for HIS timing and Habakkuk was willing to be patient and wait on the Lord and the day of His deliverance.
Join me tomorrow as I read Zephaniah!

No comments:

Post a Comment