Friday, June 21, 2013

Weekly Writes: RnR "And it was so."

I love lightbulb moments. It makes your job as a teacher worthwhile and it makes your job as a life time learner worthwhile as well. I had my own lightbulb moment and I couldn't wait to share it with you.

God repeats Himself a lot in the Bible. Perhaps it's for teeny brains like mine who have to hear something twenty times before it clicks! :) As a result, I've started to highlight what is repeated; it's obviously important if He said it over and over again! I'm glad I started doing that (a suggestion from our pastor) because last week I started over at Genesis. Our pastor also explained that the purpose of Genesis is to reveal that God is a Man of His Word. (Yes, Pastor Hod, I do listen on Sunday mornings, even if I'm trying to entertain my daughter, haha.)

Anyhooooooo...

It took nearly two years to read the Bible cover to cover and now I'm starting over. I've probably read the first few chapters of Genesis a thousand and one times (because I'd always start "in the beginning" and stop short when I'd get to descendants, duties and laws for _____. ). So it has helped me to stay focused when I highlight repetitions and every time God specifically said something. An extra bonus is that it makes my daily reading more "GOD focused" instead of "me focused."

I'm glad I did that because I realized something (even though I probably heard this in a sermon somewhere and God is just now opening my eyes). In chapter one of Genesis, when God created something it began with, "And God said," and immediately after saying it each chapter would have, "And it was so." (Ch.1, vs 7, 9, 11, 15, 24, 32)

Basically, if God said it, it happened.

(I'm sure at this point you're thinking, Duh! Okay, hear me out...)

Theeeeeen Adam and Eve sinned by eating the fruit from the tree that God said, "... in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." (Ch.2, vs.17)

Welp, read on to chapter 5 of Genesis where the descendants are listed from Adam to Noah (the part I usually skimmed over... :-/). Do you know how many times I've wondered why on earth it was important?! Okay, I may be wrong in my reasoning here but we obviously know that what God says will happen, right? (Purpose of Genesis!)

God said they would die if they ate the fruit.

Welp, the repetition in Chapter 5 is this: and he died... and he died... and he died. So-and-So lived such-and-such years and fathered So-and-So, AND HE DIED. God told them, if you do this, you will die. And it was so.

Isn't it amazing that after all these years of thinking the listing of the descendants was boring and pointless, that I finally understand? I truly think it's because knowing the purpose and trying to understand God rather than "how does this apply to me?" changes everything.

God is a man of His word.

I find amazing peace in that statement because if He's a man of His word then I have so much hope in what Jesus says in John Chapter 6 verses 22-63, that Jesus is the Word. The Word brings life. If you believe in Jesus alone you will be saved. "Truly, truly I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life." (John 6:47-48)

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the process of reading the Bible in a year, and I am definitely guilty of skimming over the decedents and tribes. The further I get into it the more I realize they are important and after reading this, I'm going to pay more attention to those details. Thank you!!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete