Saturday, June 15, 2013

Weekly Writes: RnR "God's Mercy"

I started the idea of doing "weekly writes" last week and have already failed in keeping up with it and this is only my second week into it! This week was crazy with Kyle home and tackling projects that needed to get done around the house. I barely had time to show you what we were doing much less read in my Bible or write in my thankful journal.

I did read a little bit in my "Glimpses of Grace" book by Gloria Furman and have been reflecting on it every since. Chapter 9 was titled, "God's Abiding Presence in Our Pain" and of course it was wonderful. There's two quotes I'm going to focus on today because I need to remember these truths AT ALL TIMES:

"When we grieve over our difficult circumstances here on earth, the gospel comforts us by reminding us that Jesus has gone before us to prepare a place for us in his Father's house. When we're tempted to revel in our favorable circumstances, or modern medicine, or people who make promises they can't keep, or money that promises us security, the gospel humbles us through the reminder that the steadfast love of the Lord is better than life." (p.134)

"We need faith to trust that God doesn't merely "know what's best for us," but that HE is what's best for us no matter what our circumstances are." (p.136)

Gloria gave us a glimpse into her life and I have to say I was blown away. I can't imagine going through what her family endures on a daily basis. I've noticed that anytime I pray the prayer, "Lord, I want to be like her!" it always involves quite a story

In short, I've realized that God will put us through refining fires!

We may never know the reason, but perhaps one of the reasons is to draw us closer to Him. Having the eternal perspective on life that Gloria Furman or Betsie Ten Boom or Horatio Spafford (the author of It Is Well With My Soul) requires heartache and difficulties.

I'm always wanting to question God's purpose, "WHY? Why did YOU let this happen?" And when I do that I'm angry (aka sinning). Instead of being thankful in all circumstances like Betsie Ten Boom who was imprisoned by the Nazi's for harboring Jews during WWII, or worshiping Christ despite extreme heartache like Horatio Spafford, or dwelling and meditating on the joy, and hope, and peace of what Christ did on the cross in every aspect of my life, I question God's purpose, lose faith in His sovereign hand, and forget what He did on the cross.

Gloria Furman offered this truth to dwell on: when God strips us of the things that we hold onto so very dearly in this life, He's being merciful!

Yeah, that's a difficult concept. Wait. Let's role play here: If I treasure my home and the things in it above God and it's burned by fire, that's God's mercy?!

Yes. There is no greater gift than the gift of Himself.

We can find no greater joy than in what we find in Christ.

We can take nothing, absolutely nothing with us when we die, except for Christ - we will dwell with Him in eternity.

If anything (family, friends, children, homes, etc.) come before Christ those things are becoming idols and in God's mercy He could take them away to draw you closer to Him so that HE is #1 in your heart.

Ahhhh! That's sooooo hard!

So no matter what happens in this life. No matter what trials and tribulations I go through, I need faith. Faith in God and HIS purpose and value the peace I have with God because of what Christ did on the cross.

"We need faith to trust that God doesn't merely "know what's best for us," but that HE is what's best for us no matter what our circumstances are." (p.136)

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment