Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Baby Food & A New Schedule

My sister Mel made her own baby food and I was inspired to do the same. It's easy and you know exactly what your baby is eating. I called Mel up as I was making a months worth of food and asked her a ton of questions about combinations, portions, etc. etc. Since I found this information from Mel extremely helpful, I thought I'd share it! (duh.)

You'll Need:
  • 2 Avacados
  • 3 Bananas
  • 1 Cup of Blueberries
  • 2 Zucchini
  • 2 Cups Carrots
  • 1 Sweet Potato
  • 6 Apples (My apples were small.)
  • Puree Blender Tool (This is what Kyle and I purchased at Wal-Mart for $20 and it works like a charm!)
  • Approximately 50 1 Cup Tupperware containers. (I have seen people use ice trays and that would store better, however, I wanted something with a lid that I could throw in the diaper bag and head out the door with it.)
Everything that wasn't already soft, I boiled/steamed. I had quite the system going.


Combinations:
(The serving results are all approximate!)
(In each container I put approximately 2 TBSP and called it a serving.)
  • 1 avacado + 1 banana = 6 servings
  • 1 cup blueberry + 1 banana = 6 servings
  • 2 zucchini (peeled) + 1 cup of carrots = 10 servings
  • 4 apples + 1 banana = 8 servings
  • 2 apples + 1 avacado = 6 servings
  • 1 cup of carrots + 2 apples = 6 servings
  • 1 sweet potato = approximately 3-6 servings (depending on the size of the potato)
This entire process took me about an hour. What takes the longest is peeling the apples and waiting for everything to get soft. There isn't a combination that Brielle doesn't like! (Wooohooo!) I seriously tried them all. There honestly wasn't a combination I didn't like. I was a tad worried because for the longest time we thought this transition/wheening thing would be difficult because she did not like anything but breastmilk up until about a month ago. (Whew!) I understand that's normal?

She seems to be thriving off her "new" schedule and I... am... full. (I'm resisting the urge to pump because every time I do I produce more milk, ugh.) Seriously am not liking this wheening thing, but I'm doing it gradually over the course of 2 months (um, yes, my baby is going to be 1 year old very soon! Yikes!) rather than stopping cold turkey and killing us both. I'll take any advice on wheening.... what did you do? Take a look at her schedule. It's new as of this week and so far she's doing really, really well on it. However, by the time I can finally breastfeed her I can hardly wait. RELIEF!

New Schedule:

Breakfast: Fruit, Yogurt, & Oatmeal or Fruit, Yogurt, & Scrambled Egg or Fruit, Scrambled Egg & some Banana Bread (You get the picture)

Playtime! (She's up for 2-3 hours at a time.) Before her nap I'll give her a few Kix, Cheerio pieces, banana bread, sometimes we share a popsicle or a banana... in other words, she has a small snack. I'm getting to the point where I can't eat anything without her wiggling to me, climbing on top of me and smacking her lips (that's what she does these days before she eats, LOL) asking for some of whatever I've got. -And it's begun.-

Nap time.

I breastfeed her when she wakes up.

Playtime! (She does get a snack mid afternoon.)

Dinner: Fruit, Vegetable and a little of what we're having. For example, the other night we had taco salad so I spooned her some refried beans. Or last night we had spaghetti so I mashed up noodles. One night we had chicken fried steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes, so I gave her a mixture of mashed potatoes and green beans. She loved it.

BATH! (Haha, it's definitely needed after she eats.) It's also her favorite time of the day!
She loves the blueberry&banana combo. Can you tell?
We read a story, I breastfeed her and she's off to bed. She sleeps about 10-12 hours at night and takes a 2-3 hour nap consistently! (That's if she's on her schedule. The only time she's not is traveling. Oi, traveling can be rough, lately she has decided that she will not sleep in her car seat, so when she's tired, confined, and bored - oh my do we have a grumpy Bean!)

Next time I'm going to try a sweet potato&carrot, sweet potato&green bean, green bean and carrot, sweet potato&apple combination, maybe try a few combo's with peas (she hated them, so maybe mixing vege's will help???). You get the idea. I'm following my sister Mel's advice: combine food you think compliment each other and try it! I thought it was great advice to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment