Wednesday, August 7, 2013

My Newest Decor

Doing projects like these is a huge test of my patience. I don't like waiting for wood filler to set, I don't like waiting for the paint to dry, I don't like waiting for the hot glue gun to heat up, I simply don't like waiting. I see an end result and I want to hurry through it to get there. However, when I hurry it never turns out like I have it in my head, so I have to force myself to slow down and wait. I'm glad I did that because these projects turned out pretty darn near exactly how I envisioned.

I've been on this cleaning-out-the-house/organizing kick these last few days. Years ago I bought material to create the roman shades I adored and I finally completed the kitchen and living room window treatments yesterday. Today I've been working on decor that goes along with the theme Kyle and I BOTH decided we'd enjoy. Our dream is to someday own an acreage where we could have chickens, cows, horses, a garden, barn kitties, pigs, &etc. and be self sufficient. Yes, it will be a lot of work, but Kyle grew up on a farm and some of my dearest memories come from when my family owned a small farm in Arkansas. So the decor we chose (and immediately agreed upon!) were horses and cowboys. This dream may never come true, but this decor is wrapped around this "someday we hope too..." idea we have and love to talk about, and dream, and wish. Right now God has blessed us with a home in a small town, a beautiful daughter, and two puppies.

He's also blessed me with the ability to create something out of nothing. I quite literally cannot spend money on something petty like decor, so I improvise. For example, when I saw this sign I thought two things 1. it was cute and 2. I could so do that!

I improvised by using burlap and cardboard instead of wood.
My materials: twine, cardboard, sticks, burlap, and hot glue.
Cut your burlap to fit, pull the sides tight, and glue.

Break the sticks and glue them on...

Glue your twine on the back to hang it, decorate it up and voila!
This was one of those projects that did not test my patience because it was quick and easy peasy. However, this next one did. I own this ugly mirror and this verse from Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Although it's a great verse where Paul is talking about the sacrifices he's had to make for the sake of the gospel, it's not one that applies to Kyle and Becky and our lives. Yes, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, but that particular verse was not written to us, it was written to the Philippians thanking them for their concern (Paul was in prison at the time he wrote this letter). If you read the verse before, "I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." In other words, no matter what he's going through: prison, hunger, fear, etc. his secret for staying strong is CHRIST. Should we live by Paul's example? ABSOLUTELY! But I think it's a verse we Americans (who can do ANYTHING, after all) use wrongly on too many occasions. We tend to use this verse as an excuse to do whatever we want because we can do anything, and so for that reason I don't feel comfortable displaying it on my wall. I'm not in prison. I've never experienced want or need. I've always had food, shelter, a comfy bed, someone to love me, and coffee in the morning. I've never, not even for the sake of the gospel, been ridiculed, punished or afraid. I'm pretty spoiled. So I can in no way relate to Paul's explanation in Philippians 4:13, and neither can most Americans 

There. I'm done with my spiel.

Kyle and I bought this before we began studying God's Word heavily and thought we should display any and all verses on our wall without thinking of the context it was written beforehand. As I am cleaning I'm running across little things like that and creating something like this, because I don't want to waste it and I'm in the mood to create something new without spending any money.

And I love how it turned out.

I followed Better Homes and Gardens distress directions. I painted the base black, and distressed it with a redish brown color. I glued twine around the edges to add to the rustic look.
Let me explain the meaning behind it: God is love. He is a perfect example of love and how to live life. If we study Christ we should become like him "Love is patient, kind, love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude... " (etc. etc.) 1 Corinthians 13:4-13 and then Paul ends that section with this wonderful thought provoking verse: "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12) Paul is telling the Corinthians (who were having problems within their church - because we never have problems, right?!) what love looks like: CHRIST. We are to show this love to the church, just like CHRIST, and be united in Christ alone. So when we study Christ we become like Him. When we look in a mirror, who should we see? We should strive to be like Christ so when we look in a mirror we see Christ face to face. It's a process at first ("For we see in a mirror dimly...") and the more we get to know Christ by studying His word, the more we see Him "face to face" when we look in the mirror. My goal is to be like CHRIST ALONE. It will take time, patience, perseverance, studying, meditating, praying, worshiping, but this mirror is a reminder to make the gospel my obsession, because when I look in the mirror I want to see CHRIST ALONE "face to face." When the day comes that I do meet him "face to face" I know WHO HE IS! (Oh that thought gives me goosebumps!)

While I created it this song came on in the mix I was listening too! In Christ Alone by Keith and Kristyn Getty, PERFECT!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, I have used your picture on my blog site.

    ReplyDelete