Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Shout Out to GoodReads.com

While checking out other bloggers I ran across a widget showing one bloggers reading goal for the year. I'm a reading teacher/fanatic and immediately began checking the website out. I'm officially addicted. Come to find out a lot of my friends on Facebook have already "been-there-done-that" and I wasn't surprised to find that I'm behind the times.

Here's why I like it:

... after completing a book you rate it and can also write a review. I love this feature when selecting books to put in my "want to read" list. I know the average rating and can find out what others think of it. I had to laugh that a few of my favorites were given horrible reviews, I can't decide what that means for my tastes.

... creating a reading goal for the year holds me accountable to that goal, especially if I place a widget showing YOU how many books I want to read. Reading is important and I want to make it a priority.

... the app for your smart phone device is free and user-friendly.

... your friends on Facebook currently using goodreads.com automatically show up on your newsfeed. I love that, because I have the same tastes as many of my friends and what they're reading typically interests me.

... using your smart phone you can scan the barcode on the back of any book and it will automatically tell you the average rating and how many people have rated it. This will be handy in any book store (one of my favorite places)!

... it has an "explore" feature on the smart phone app which allows you to see the most downloaded ebooks, the "best books ever," or the best books by genre, favorite series, and my favorite: "best unknown but must be known books" folder.

... one of my favorite features is that you can type in your location and it will give you literary events to attend. Say your on vacation and you're bombarded with a rainy, good "book-reading," coffee-drinking weather; just by typing in your current zip code  you are able to see different events in your area. I decided that I wanted to vacation in Palm Beach Shores, Florida (who wouldn't, right?) so I typed in the zipcode (33404 - I Googled it) and found that I could attend an event titled "Authors in the Park - Booktoberfest" at the Lakeside Inn. This event sounds like so. much. fun! They described it as a "unique costume contest based on characters from the participating authors." There will be music, a costume contest, book signings and the proceeds go to breast cancer research. Who wants to go with me?

I'm a big fan of GoodReads.com and I'm new to it, so I can only imagine what hidden secrets I will uncover with time. Check it out, I promise you will be glad you did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment