Monday, September 30, 2013

Sunday Social Link-Up #3

I'm loving this link-up! Thank you Suzi at Chores and Chandeliers for doing this and "introducing" this idea to me. It's so fun to read about other bloggers across the world and how they answer the same questions.

1. What is your dream job?
Teaching. Thankfully, I accomplished that dream and worked my dream job for 5 years as a junior high reading teacher, basketball coach, and a high school assistant track and field coach. I took a break after my fifth year to stay home with my beautiful baby girl, and that has been my dream job. I never knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, and now that I'm living it I've realized it's a dream come true. I love every minute I have with her.  
How can you NOT love those adorable baby blues looking at you, showing unconditional love? (I know I'm a bias mom, but I think she's pretty much the cutest little bean out there.)
When I was a senior in high school I debated on whether I wanted to be a P.E. teacher or an Interior Designer. Funny how neither of those jobs panned out because my degree is in English/Language Arts. When my daughter goes to school I'll begin teaching again, but until that day, I'll love every minute of my mommy job.

2. If you had just won the lottery and didn't need to work for money, what would you do with your time?
I'd still teach. The money I earned would be spent on technology for the classroom, iPods for everyone! I would LOVE that (one less tree that I'd have to kill with all that work I printed off daily).

3. What piece of career advice would you give to someone just starting out in your field?
Teaching is a self-less job. You don't go into it for glory or power. You WILL be affecting the lives that walk into your classroom - good or bad. Do not go into teaching thinking it will be easy, or fun (all the time), or short hours (there's ALWAYS work to do - day and night, winter, spring, summer), or that the paycheck will make you rich. Go into teaching because you love your kids first and foremost. If THAT'S your focus, you'll successfully and effectively TEACH them because you care about their future.

4. What would be your ideal "just for fun" job?
Interior Design or Decorating. I LOVE decorating.

5. What was your first "real" job?
In high school I cleaned hotel rooms and waitressed at a local restaurant, it doesn't get any more "real" than that. I'll always be a big tipper (even when we stay in a hotel room) because I know how much hard work is required day in and day out; it's exhausting, time consuming, disgusting, and people can be downright nasty.

2 comments:

  1. I want to teach.. but I want to work with young kids, like preschool age.

    New follower from the Sunday Social.

    http://www.mixof6.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you. I couldn't work with littles. Teaching is one of the most rewarding, and yet heartbreaking jobs out there. Here's hoping your dream comes true because the world needs passionate teachers!

      Delete