Thursday, November 14, 2013

Blessings [RnR]

The moment I actually listened to Laura Story's song called "Blessings" I was blown away. Especially since I've engrossed myself in my Thankful Journal and Gratitude Photo Challenge. Being thankful in all circumstances, every day is way more than a surface level "thankfulness" where I'm thankful for my car, clothes, or family. Yes, I'm thankful for those things, don't get me wrong, but Laura asks a question that forced me to think about being thankful even in trials and tribulations:
"When friends betray us, when darkness seems to win, We know that pain reminds this heart that this is not, this is not my home..." 
and then she ends the song with this question,
"What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy, what if the trials of this life, the rain, the storms, the hardest nights, are your mercies in disguise?"
When I heard those words, I cried. Not because my life is filled with trials of all kinds, but because whatever trials I've endured and whatever tribulations are in my future, they're all reminders that THIS IS NOT MY HOME. And that thought has been pushed to the forefront of my brain ever since October 1st when I nearly lost my life. Before that day I was scared of death, scared of leaving the things of this world behind. October 1st reminded me of my mortality and that I will die; it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. From that day on, I've been asking if I was truly prepared to meet Jesus face to face. So when I hear songs with deep words like that, I can not forget it.

Let me make this very clear: I absolutely love my life with my husband, daughter, friends and family. Despite that fact, I would choose heaven over the things of this earth in a heartbeat. October 1st forced me to answer this question: Given the choice between heaven and hell, which would you choose? (Of course, duh, heaven!) Now, given the choice between heaven and earth, which would you choose? ----- For the majority of my life I would've chosen earth. (If you're in the same boat, read what Jesus says about that choice in Matthew 6:19-24.) If you chose earth as well, ask yourself the very same question I had to ask myself: Do I truly believe Jesus and everything he taught? Or do I just say that for "fire insurance"? Be careful with, "Yes, I believe in God," because even Satan believes in God. How far are you willing to go for the sake of His name? Death? Thankfulness in trials in tribulations? I'd like to believe that I am, that I'm a work in progress at least. ;)

Depending on how you answered that question, listen to this song, and let the words seep into the depths of your heart. Ask God to give you an eternal perspective on life, starting today... 

And then take Milton Vincent's advice from his book, "A Gospel Primer" and consider trials as your friends, because God is working in you, through them. He's drawing you closer to Him, forcing you to ask the most important question of your life: What will happen when I die? If you can't say, "HEAVEN!" definitively, read this. And then thank God for everything, because he doesn't have to give you anything, and what he is giving you is beyond what you can comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment