Saturday, May 10, 2014

40 Day Challenge - Draw Closer to God & Your Hubby (Day 13: Focus on Your Hubby)


Day 11 was all about the why of this challenge. I'm in the midst of rereading and learning the book of Romans. When I hit chapter 12:1-2 I was so overwhelmed with Paul's demand to present ourselves as a living sacrifice that I knew I needed a renewal of mind. I've been too consumed with the things of this world! John Piper and John MacArthur had MANY sermons on these two verses that when I listened to them (while washing dishes or folding laundry) I realized that my spillover was becoming negative, ungrateful, and all about "me-me-me". When John Piper summed up 12:1-2 with this one phrase,  "... thoughts, attitudes and actions are spontaneous. They are just spillover from what's inside." I realized I wanted my spontaneous thoughts, attitudes or actions to reflect CHRIST. The only way to do that was by recognizing God's GREATNESS through Scripture. Hence Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10!  

Day 12's challenge was to find ways to focus our mind on GOD'S GREATNESS. By renewing our mind with God's mercies found in Scripture we can better praise Him! I shared a few things that helped me, I'd love to see your list if you're willing to share.

Day 13
According to Paul our life should be so consumed with Christ that that your day-to-day life expresses the worth of God and all that He is in Jesus.

  • How can you praise Him if you do not know Him?
  • How can your thoughts, attitudes, and actions exude Jesus if you have not studied His life?

In other words you need to know Jesus and you need to know God's great deeds and you need to praise Him for His wondrous works throughout your day. 

Let's apply that same principle to your relationship with your hubby: 

  • How can you effectively serve him if you do not know him?
  • How can you appreciate the things he does if you do not stop and pay attention?
  • How can your thoughts, attitudes and actions express your love for him if your life is consumed with me, myself and I?
When you understand what God has given you, even though you do not deserve it, you can apply that same principle to those around you - starting with your husband. Give love, serve with all your heart, treat him as you'd wish to be treated, not because you want to but because Christ has done the same for you.

Starting today, how are you going to do that? You've made a list of ways to focus your mind on getting to know GOD better and praising HIM. Apply that same principle to your husband. What are you going to do so your attitude, thoughts, and actions express a love for him that you may or may not feel? Today, recognize that love is not always a feeling, it.is.a.choice. Think back to the day you made a vow to love, honor and cherish him for all the days of your life and RE-make that choice today. Now, how are you going to do that? 

This is a list I'm not sure I'm going to share with you. ;)

If you just joined us, and I'm so glad you did, I encourage you to start with...

No comments:

Post a Comment