Monday, June 30, 2014

Traditional Bahamian Johnny Cake Recipe

Every year my husband and I make an effort to take one trip for a family vacation. Back in February we saved up enough $$$$ to travel to my sisters home in the BAHAMAS! It was a wonderful few days (read about it here). Ever since our Bahamian experience I use avocados, lime, fresh cilantro, and butter like it's my job. Seriously, Bahamians know how to cook. And this Johnny cake will go with about oh, everything. 

Plus, it is so so so so so easy...

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1 cup water
Extra butter for frying

Mix all the ingredients together and let sit for 30 minutes before frying. 
Melt butter in a frying pan, pour in the cake mixture, cover and cook for approximately 5-8 minutes, add butter, flip and cook uncovered until done.

We ate Johnny Cake with a dish called Boiled Fish (super appetizing name, I know, but trust me, IT'S YUMMY). 
Johnny cake + avocado + fresh ocean Mahi + grits + bloody mary = FANTASTIC breakfast.
Kyle and I also eat it with another recipe called Fire Engine, which I will share as well, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment