Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Becky Served...

I'm feeling extremely blessed today. So much so that I couldn't wait to share it with you. Today I'm being spoiled with witnessing an overload of my 21 month old's adorableness and I also got the privilege of spending a significant amount of time in Scripture. Both are a hit and miss in a mommy's world.

Briella Bean's adorableness started from the moment she woke up by asking about Poppy, Daddy, Gary, Hunter, and talking about Abi's nose (Gary, Hunter and Abi are her cousins she's been with for the last 2 weeks and it's painstakingly obvious how much she misses them). I'm not sure where Abi's nose fits into the whole picture, but it was adorable nonetheless. It continued with "nonsense" talk at breakfast, playing a matching game (which she nailed, while naming the animals as she accomplished matching them), singing along to the song "Global Greetings" where she attempted to say hello in many different languages, and listening to her toot, grunt, and say, "WHOA!" Not every day is filled with adorableness. Some days are filled with battles (where she refuses to say "thank you" or resists nap time or coloring on the couch) and so days like today I soak in and thank God for giving me because it makes this whole parenting thing worth every minute.

And then to add to my incredible day, there's moments like this when I'm studying the book of John and *bam* the Holy Spirit enlightens the eyes of my heart to two words in chapter 12, verse 2: "Martha served..."

Why is that so significant? Why did John share the fact that Martha served a dinner for Jesus, His 12 disciples, and Lazarus, in Bethany six days before Passover? I went back to the purpose verse in 20:30, "Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." So why did John share the fact that Martha served in order to prove this purpose: that Jesus is the Christ, the Song of God and that by believing you may have life in His name?

I decided to keep reading, because that's only the beginning of this story. You see Jesus told His disciples that His hour had come to be crucified and when the Gentiles in verse 20 sought after Him He knew that in order for them to understand and enjoy true fellowship with Him, He must die for their sins. In essence He was becoming the greatest servant in giving up His life for many and explained in verse 26, "If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him." and more than that He goes on to explain His entire purpose for "this hour" (His death on the cross) in 12:27-28, "... for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name."

By becoming a servant He glorified the name of God and God honored Christ!

Martha served GOD because she loved Him, as a result, she was honored. I mean, come on, her name and her selflessness are in the very Word of God.

Keep reading...

In chapter 13 what does Jesus do? He washes His disciples feet, which is what the lowliest of servants did in those days. And He asks His disciples a profound question, "Do you understand what I have done to you?" (13:12) He goes on to answer it, "... I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have down to you."

We are to be like Martha, who was mimicking Christ! By doing so, Christ explained that you are fulfilling the new commandment Jesus gave His disciples in 13:34 and 15:12,

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another." (13:34)

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." (15:12)

Just like He was explaining to His disciples: if we believe that there is life in the living Word (Jesus Christ) then we also love Him. By simply doing that (loving HIM) we are fulfilling the greatest commandment: to love God, because He is God. If we love Jesus Christ, we have life; and if we love Jesus Christ, we understand the sacrifice He made on our behalf, as a result we desire to live as He lived: as a servant. Like Martha we need to be so preoccupied with serving one another because that service shows our love for Christ; consequently, we fulfill Christ's commandment to love one another as He has loved us.

THAT is Christianity.

And just like that my prayer became, "Lord help me serve others as I live for this one purpose: to glorify Your Name and show my love for Christ."

If I want anything written about me, I'd want it to be something like Martha's profound, yet simple statement, "Becky served; because she loved Jesus Christ." I can't just say it, or write it here, it's past time for me to live it.



No comments:

Post a Comment