Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fire Engine Recipe [Traditional Bahamian Corned Beef & Grits]

Every year my husband and I make an effort to take one trip for a family vacation. Back in February we saved up enough $$$$ to travel to my sisters home in the BAHAMAS! It was a wonderful few days (read about it here). Ever since our Bahamian experience I use avocados, lime, fresh cilantro, and butter like it's my job. Seriously, Bahamians know how to cook.

When I heard what we'd be having for breakfast one morning (corn beef & grits) I cringed. I never thought of myself as a grits fan and I sure as heck wasn't confident in corn beef. BUT I absolutely fell in LOVE with this recipe, trust me, you will as well.

Bahamian Fire Engine Recipe


Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 green or red pepper
Juice from 2 limes
2 tbsp butter
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 can corned beef
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 tbsp thyme

Instructions:
Melt 1 tbsp of butter in pan
Sauté onion, cilantro and green pepper
Add corn beef, lime juice, tomatoes and sauce, top with thyme
Let simmer till hot



Serve with buttery, cheesy grits (cooked according to package directions), avocado, and Johnny Cake.
Enjoy!

This is the last of my Bahamian recipe's, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment