Monday, April 25, 2016

Preparing My Girls for the Transgender Bathroom Issue


We speak openly to our girls about their bottom. It is private. A place that should not be touched by anyone (mommy and daddy included) unless cleaning or medical attention is needed. Under any other circumstance we tell her to scream. The sex talk will come later, age or situation appropriate, but that is a different subject for another time.

The issue at hand is the privacy in the women's bathroom. A place were safety is a concern for our little people. There are no camera's (for obvious privacy sake) and in most cases there are gaps wide enough in each stall to clearly see the person inside it. The locks are handy for situations to avoid a walk-in but would not keep an intruder from entering. It's a place were we are vulnerable and exposed. 

After reading two articles on the transgender bathroom issue (MSN's U.S. court rules for Virginia student on transgender bathroom access and A Rape Survivor Speaks Out About Transgender Bathrooms) I began to realize that my little girls needed some lessons on bathroom safety. I thought I'd share my list. 

Here's the truth: I do not identify transgender individuals as predators. I'm not even posting this to begin an argument on whether or not I agree with this ruling (again, another topic for another day). My concern is that we are opening an easy door for predators to pull the transgender card in order to prey on victims in a super vulnerable place where we are fully exposed.

We have to acknowledge this fact and take the steps necessary to protect our little girls. Here's a few ways I intend on doing that:

1. Teach self defense techniques. Biting, kicking, screaming, and hitting in the most effective places (i.e. balls, nose, eyes, etc.).

2. Have your phone ready to dial 911. 

If at all possible...

3. Do not go alone. Haha, this isn't really a problem for most girls.

4. Keep daddy by the outside door, with his listening ear on. Here's my fear on this one: my husband is protective. If his girls were to be violated in this way, I'm not sure what he would do. God has given men 4 jobs: to provide, protect, nourish, and cherish his wife (read Ephesians 5:25-33 as reference). This includes his little girls until he hands them off to their husband where he is to take over that job. That protective instinct is so ingrained that if this were to ever happen, that man would regret ever laying a hand on them. It infuriates me to know that we are putting our men in this situation because I doubt very much the law would be on my husband's side for doing his God-given job: protecting his girls. 

5. Be quick. This is especially important for our little sloth. Do your business and get out. Don't linger. The bathroom isn't a place to play anyway. Ick.

I'm sad that it's come down to this, but I'm not at all surprised. We've never lived in a safe world. We are all depraved, in desperate need of a Savior (the gospel). The more we reject Jesus the worse this world will become. Predators have always been in existence and until the day of HIS return, they will continue to prey. So I will do what it takes to keep my girls safe, that's part of the job God has given me and I take it pretty seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment