Monday, May 1, 2017

The Girls Love It When They Have to Pray for Mommy's Heart

I yelled at the girls for the umpteenth time. It wasn't until the umpteenth mommy-temper-tantrum that I realized I needed a heart change. I was grumpy and my babies could do nothing "right." By mid-morning it was turning out to be an awful day. While on the verge of tears, we all sat in the middle of the living room floor, arms around each other, and prayed. Afterwards Brielle couldn't stop giggling. The table was turned! It was Brielle and then Ele who prayed for Mommy's heart and they loved it.


I felt like a weight had been lifted and although I still struggled through the day, I was more conscientious of my actions. I spent the day in silent prayer that God would relieve me of my bad mood. I put on praise music, stopped to read my Bible, prayed continually... all because God answered my little girls prayer, which changed my mind-set. It didn't immediately change my mood, but it did change my focus from myself to Jesus!

Praying for hearts is a regular occurrence in our house. We recognize our sin and ask God to continually work in us as we thank Him for the work He accomplished on the cross! Even mommy needs Jesus every hour of every day. How wonderful that there are opportunities like this to show my imperfection and my reliance on Jesus?! These are helpful reminders when my children need a heart change and I can remind them of the time they had to pray for my heart, we both need Jesus. 

--------------------
Prayer Example:

We have daily devotions, so many of the terms like selfless, kind, Author of faith, gospel, perfect, &etc. the girls know, understand, and use in their prayer time. Also, as you pray together, teach them to pray by praising God, thanking him, and asking him. If you like acronyms, think P.A.T. For little people it's best to start small. I've seen acronyms more than 5 letters long, and that's too much for a 2 and 4 year old. Build a foundation and as they grow, build upon it.

Most importantly, the secret to a true heart change is to focus on Jesus, the only One who can change it.

Also, the Bible quite clearly states to pray with confidence and without doubting,
"But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind." James 1:5
There is no reason to doubt that God, in His almighty wisdom, is able to change hearts, teach and sanctify in moments of struggle - big and small. I believe when we practice this in these "small" moments, it will be second nature when those big calamities strike.


Praise Him.

Jesus, You are selfless, kind, obedient to the Word of God, perfect in every way.

Ask Him.
Make us more like You. Selfless, kind, obedient... we can never reach perfection, but we can rely on You, Lord, to change our hearts day-by-day, moment-by-moment. We need You!

Thank Him.

Thank you for the work you accomplished on the cross when you died for our sin and defeated death by rising again! We can never repay You for this incredible gift, so help us remain thankful as we focus on Jesus, the Author of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment