Thursday, August 31, 2017

Prayer for Faith

A book I refer to often is titled, The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions by Arthur Bennett. In it I witness rich language that reveals sound theology based on Scripture, deep and abiding worship, biblical meditation, and dedicated devotion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. When I pick up this book to read one poem, it takes time to process each word and phrase because it digs into my heart and soul, making a profound impact on my attitude towards the Christian religion. These God-centered prayers illustrate a strength of character I do not possess. Therefore, it aids in my practice of prayer and in my devotion to studying Scripture. The prayers in this book play a significant role in my spiritual growth. I highly encourage you to get one for yourself. 

In the mean time, read these words and soak in the meaning behind them:
"Help me honor you by believing before I feel, for great is the sin if I make feeling a cause of faith."

One of Jesus' twelve disciples coined a term many of us may be familiar with, "Don't be a doubting Thomas!" Unfortunately for him, his doubt in Christ's resurrection serves as a wonderful reminder to Christians today. John told the story of Jesus' resurrection beginning in John 20 when Mary Magdalene noticed His body missing from the tomb. Jesus appeared to her and she told the disciples exactly what had happened. Later Jesus appeared to the disciples in a locked room, Thomas was not with them. When they reported what happened to Thomas he said, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe." (20:25) He doubted the word of the others. It wasn't until eight days after this that Jesus once again appeared to them, again behind locked doors! Jesus told Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." (20:27-28) Thomas believed and after saying so Jesus' response should solidify our faith, "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." (20:28-29)

We have witnesses who recorded the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ - a story, they claim, saves those who have faith in its events. History has proven that these authors died for what they claimed to have seen. The disciples for example: Peter was crucified on the cross upside down. Andrew was scourged, and then tied to a cross. It took him two days to die, and while he hung there he preached the gospel to those who passed by him. James was beheaded. Philip was scourged. Thomas was speared. Thaddeus and Simon were both crucified. (source: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/killing-jesus/articles/how-did-the-apostles-die/)

Why would these men die such tragic deaths - which historians prove true - for a cause not worth death itself?

They died for their faith in Jesus Christ, because of what they witnessed Him say and do. Then they wrote it down and shared it with many others. They wrote it down for future believers such as ourselves. So that we are those who Christ says are blessed because of our faith in what we have not seen.

John's purpose for writing down signs Jesus performed was written in John 20:30-31, "Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written  so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name." So that you can read those words and have faith that the Holy Spirit inspired him to write down exactly what happened based on what he witnessed, encourage our soul and give us perseverance during this life - and for our death. Do not mistake faith for a feeling.

Faith is not a feeling. 

Faith is built on truth.

Jesus died on the cross. He was buried in a tomb. And based on countless witnesses, and the apostles who wrote about Him, we have faith that He defeated death by rising again. So we either take what Jesus says about Himself as complete truth, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) or we take him to be a crazy man. Because that is a huge claim. He claimed to be God, John 8:58. He claimed to be the truth, not a truth. He claimed to be the way to God, not a way. He claimed to be the life, not a life. These are huge claims, claims that we must take by faith.

So when I read prayers like that, I pray for a faith built on the authority of Scripture. I pray for unwavering faith in the truth found there. I pray that God reveal His purpose in each word, each sentence, each paragraph given so that I learn more about Him. I pray for encouragement and perseverance. I pray for a faith that honors God - not based on what I feel - but what I know. I pray for a faith that helps me live and die well.

And I know that Jesus died on the cross, was buried and rose again. Every leap of faith I take from that point on is because I rest in that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment