Friday, January 4, 2019

My Weakness

I believe in confessing weaknesses and sins in your discipleship relationships, with your spouse, in close friendships, and at times, publicly. Doing so, exposes these weaknesses and sins to the light, allowing you to more fully see the God of the universe and conquer the issues that keep you from drawing closer to Him. Also, keeping them in the dark clouds your thinking, making you stuck in them. It is through the accountability that comes with these relationships and their journeying alongside you - continually pointing you back to Christ - that helps you in weakness.

God did not design the Christian walk as a solo journey. We are called to fellowship with other believers who also struggle with weakness and sin, to be unified in Christ as we journey together in this life. God gave us a forever family and that is a tremendous blessing.

But more than that God gave us Christ! His grace is sufficient. That is what Jesus told Paul when he asked to be released of his weakness, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9) Paul's response was that he would boast all the more of his weakness because Christ was glorified. I don't know what Paul's weakness was except that he said it was a "thorn in the flesh" (12:7), but I can share with you what I plan to do with mine: bring it to the light by sharing it here, thank Him for His grace and His blessings, trust in God's will for my life, and the plan I have to conquer it.

Bringing it to light.
The woman of Samaria encountered Jesus at a well (John 4:7-30) where He asked her for a drink. When she was puzzled by this (because Jews hated Samaritans) the conversation that followed amazed me. He kept telling her that in Him was life and she did not see it until Jesus brought her sin to light. Jesus strips open her inner life, pours light on her deepest secret, because keeping sin in the dark will never lift the blindness, "For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works be exposed." (John 3:20) By revealing her sin, she was finally able to see THE Light and recognize Him for what He was: LIFE.

By sharing this, I hope that you take the opportunity this time of year brings: the reminder to reflect. Although I believe this should be a daily endeavor and not just at the beginning of the year, I do like to jump at the opportunity to begin afresh, to dig deep and make changes where changes need to be made. And the place that needs growth in my life is my personal prayer life. It is weak.

Giving thanks!
Do you know how incredibly thankful I am that my weakness reveals God's blessings? That because He has blessed me, I do not take the time every day to approach Him in thoughtful prayer. I'm often careless and unprepared. I am so unlike Daniel who prayed at the same time, in the same place every day. I do not pray unceasingly. I am not like Corrie Ten Boom's sister, Betsie who's prayer life was indistinguishable from her conversations. But I am not in exile or experiencing the Holocaust first hand. I have a roof over my head, food, clothing, and like most Americans I have everything I could ever need or want at my disposal. God has blessed me, and so I should unceasingly thank Him.

I am also incredibly thankful that He made me a sovereigntist - and I don't mean a person who supports self government. I mean that I am someone who understands that God is in control, that God is sovereign over all things, including what He gives and takes away, because everything in the "heavens and the earth is yours. Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Both riches and honor come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might, and in your hand it is to make great and to give strength to all." (1 Chronicles 29:11-12) Since He has given me all these things, my prayer should reflect David's and often it does, but I lack consistency. Plus, I find it difficult to approach God when I know that what Jesus teaches in Matthew 6:8 is true, "your Father knows what you need before you ask Him." I am often guilty of praying, well God, you already know what I need sooooooo I guess I don't really need to ask.... No! He told us to ask, so ask! And then praise Him for it.

And with that, I am also incredibly thankful for His grace poured into my life by the work of Christ when He died on the cross for my sins, was buried, and rose again. Because of His gift of grace, giving me the righteousness that I don't deserve, I do not have to worry about my weaknesses. Because of Jesus' work, I am able to rely on God as He works in me to draw me closer to Himself. That is an incredible place to rest.

Trust.
I trust that by bringing this weakness to light, and knowing that God desires this communion, that He will answer this desire to have a purposeful and consistent prayer life! I will not doubt in my asking (James 1:5-6), but rather trust that if the Bible says to pray unceasingly, and that by bringing this weakness to light, God will put this on my heart.

A plan.
Another reason to praise Him! Recognizing this weakness to a friend produced a prayer book that I cannot wait to dive into (and has also been on my wish list for quite some time), The Heart of God by Kenneth Boa. I believe that her giving it to me was also God giving me the push I needed.

Each day is planned with scripture references followed by specific prayer directions, this daily guidance is the purpose and consistency that I desperately need. And so this journey begins....

Thank you reader for finishing this post. I sincerely hope and pray that you are encouraged, inspired, and thoughtful after completing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment