Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Tuesday's Top Ten [Toys For Any Playroom at Any Age]

I made the mistake of watching a couple of minimalist videos. Ever since I've been purging like crazy; all because of this one statement made by a mom during an interview, "I realized I was spending more time picking up the toys rather than spending time with my children!" That's my life. The less I have to pick up, the less grumpy I am about the mess (and the sloth-like mode my children pick up), the more time I have to spend with them, the happier we all are. Win, win.

As I was purging I was picking toys that met the following criteria:

  • Inspire imagination and creativity.
  • Support learning Biblical principles, letters, numbers, shapes, colors, etc.
  • Encourage unity, communication, problem solving, and working/playing together.

I came up with ten toys that children of all ages could enjoy, changing of course as they grow, but the overall idea stays the same:
  1. Books. If a child has a love for stories - fiction and nonfiction - you will foster learning, imagination, and learning. Haha, I could be a minimalist in all areas of my life except for two: books and dresses. 
  2. Puzzles. Develops fine motor skills, problem solving, and spatial skills. Bean loves doing them with me therefore it fosters working together. Plus it's an all around full-brain-workout! 
  3. Artistry stuff (coloring books, crayons, markers, chalkboard, etc.) I still enjoy coloring! This is often one of the first activities my children choose to do together.
  4. Dress up stuff. No matter who comes over to play this is one of the first places in our playroom that is destroyed. Each child, boy or girl, loves to dress up and pretend to be something. Pirates. Princesses. Super hero. Biblical character. Doctor. The options are limitless for any age and any child - no matter their interest! 
  5. Musical instruments. This was an area I realized was lacking in our playroom. We are always singing and music is always on in the background, but the ability to create their own music was missing. 
  6. Age appropriate games. We have match the cards, Chutes and Ladders, Go Fish, etc. all of which support learning, problem solving, working/playing together, etc.
  7. Legos. This is something Kyle and I really do enjoy playing with the girls. Building is therapeutic and beneficial in so many ways! This is a family activity in our home! And one that can easily be added to with each birthday and Christmas season.
  8. Balls. What kid does not enjoy playing catch? Or basketball? Or kicking around a soccer ball? Exercise. Working together. Not to mention the developmental benefits of kicking, throwing, catching, or shooting a ball...
  9. Playdoh or clay. I'll be honest. I hate this stuff, because it gets to be so incredibly messy. BUT it is one activity that meets all of my criteria and I have yet to meet a kid who does not enjoy creating and building with playdoh or clay. It's worth the mess that takes 5 minutes to clean up if it means my kids are happy, learning, and playing together. I have to get over my selfish self for this one...
  10. Play kitchen. Seriously. I remember one of my favorite activities as an older child (8-10ish) was playing restaurant with one of my friends. He was the chef and I was the waitress. It's one of my favorite memories! It's an activity my toddler enjoys as she makes food for her babies and my four year old nephew enjoys making a plate of food for his Poppy to enjoy. Boy or girl, children of all ages, understand the joy found in food.
Not everything in this list will fit every child or family, but I do hope it inspires you as you create a room for memory making, growth, encouragement, fun, laughter, imagination and creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment