Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tuesday's Top Ten Plus Ten [Ways I Express Myself Artistically]

I am one of those people who have an interest in many subjects related to the arts, but I would not venture to state I'm an expert in any one specifically. Still, besides my head in a book, these are the ways I fill my "free" time. (Haha, is there any such thing in motherhood?)


1. Writing. My degree is in English/Language Arts, which might explain my list today because it means I'm able to teach anything from drama, writing, reading, elements of literature, or speech to any 7-12th grader. Reading and writing are two of my favorite ways to spend those precious few moments of free time. Writing is one of those ways that reveals my imagination, knowledge, and overall self - hence the creation of this blog!

2. Decorating. My debate out of high school was whether or not to become an interior designer, a PE teacher or an English/Language Arts teacher (pretty broad, right?) but that's how I approach life. I want to try everything! My home decor definitely reflects me.

3. Clothing. I do not have any one favorite color. I like them all, which is hard when picking outfits! I have favorite color combinations, but that list is also quite extensive. My attitude about clothing is this: I have to wear them, so I might as well have fun getting dressed up. I will admit it's something I've come to enjoy very much! In fact, I've written about this very topic quite often...


4. Doodling. My mom is an amazing artist. I have a pinky of her talent. I do enjoy painting and coloring, but I would not dare say I'm at her level. I'm simply a doodler. And thoroughly enjoy it. I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to this task (I just doodled.)!

5. Crafting. I love creating something of nothing or turning trash into treasure. Like old books into wreaths or initials. Or the top of a shelf into a sign worthy of being a focal point in my home. Or an old mirror that reflects what I believe...







6. Music. Since 5th grade I have played the clarinet. I played it so much as a child that my sister got so tired of my squeaky practice that she smacked the bell, jamming me on the top of the mouth. Haha, it didn't keep me from playing! I've played in many honor bands, which were a highlight of my musical "career", and continued playing in the pep and concert bands up until into my junior year of college. I tried my hand at the baritone saxophone, the piano, the bass guitar, and now the dulcimer. Music has been near and dear to my heart and although time has made me rusty, I still love dusting off an instrument and entertaining my babies.

7. Costumes. I love dressing up! My favorite was when my husband and I dressed up as Mayhem and Flo for Halloween one year. Also, themed parties are so.much.fun.
 My all time favorite costume creation was when Bean was a robot for Halloween. Talk about adorable!



8. Photography. My sister Mel is the expert photographer. She has some photos that will blow your socks off. I have a camera, per her recommendation, that I enjoy using. It is definitely a hobby I want to know more about, and thankfully I have someone I can learn from first hand! I feel another top ten coming on... perhaps one of these Tuesday's I'll share my favorite pictures that I snapped.

9. Party Planning. I have shared countless baby and bridal showers on this blog and am years behind on sharing the more recent parties I've hosted (I need to get on the ball). I host so many because I'm in charge of this particular ministry at our church and it's one that I really enjoy. Not just because it's an opportunity to decorate and eat and fellowship with other women, but because the momma's and brides walk away feeling spoiled. Visit this link for some of them I've shared here.

10. Teaching. If there is an area where I might be considered an "expert" it would probably be this one. My Master's degree is an education speciality: curriculum and instruction. Call me a nerd, but curriculum and lesson plan design is one of my favorite things to do. I love the 4MAT method and the challenge it presents to develop lessons that will engage all types of learning styles. Constructing lesson plans makes me all sorts of excited to teach it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment