Thursday, January 4, 2018

Most Impactful Scripture of 2017

As I read through my Bible, I'm always amazed at how (no matter how many times I've read from Genesis to Revelation) something new is learned, something new encourages me, some new revelation blows my mind. There are specific portions of Scripture that I can point to that were most impactful as I reflect on the year. One year it was Romans 11:33 - 12:2, another was Job 38-41, or Ephesians 2:1-10, another was Exodus 1-15. I debated for a long time between Luke 1:1-55 or Psalm 46. I decided on the later.

Grab your Bible marking pens, if you mark your Bible. Here's my key:

(I gave that only because I'm going to mark the Psalm as I marked it in my Bible, that way you understand the colors.)

TO THE CHOIRMASTER. OF THE SONS OF KORAH. 
ACCORDING TO ALAMOTH. A SONG.

God is our refuge and strength, 
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, 
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,  
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High. 
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; 
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us; 
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Come, behold the works of the Lord,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; 
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among all the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
The Lord of hosts is with us; 
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Psalm 46

(*Note - The underlined portion is underlined in red. Whenever things are repeated, I know it's important.)

Mind Boggling Details About This Psalm.
From the beginning you see who God is. He is a refuge. He is the source of His people's strength.
And for those reasons, they will not fear even if the earth falls apart. 

There is a complete trust in God in the midst of colossal calamity.

From the first three verses it is clear that the Psalmist wrote this for Israelites as a means to teach them (through music) to have faith in God - no matter what. And it continues to enthrall the singer...

The city of God = Jerusalem. In the time this Psalm was written God was in the midst of this city. His presence was in the temple. Today, that is not the case. His dwelling place is in his people through the Holy Spirit. The Bride of Christ (those who have faith alone in Jesus Christ alone) are "the holy habitation of the Most High".  Back then the Israelites could look to the temple and feel secure of the promised protection because of their faith, today we rest in the security of salvation through Christ alone, who gives the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49) - the guarantee of our inheritance until we die and acquire possession of it (Ephesians 1:13-14). The promised inheritance is an eternity with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ in the city that is to come (Revelation 22:3). This city will not be moved! Jesus will reign supreme as King in this eternal kingdom!

The moment God speaks - all of this turmoil will end.

As God's people look at the works of God, as they reflect on his sovereignty (how he brought desolations on the earth, and then how he ended it - verses 8-9) and rest in this phenomenal truth:

"Be still, and know that I am God. 
I will be exalted among the nations, 
I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10 

then they have full assurance that God is with us and God is our fortress. He will not fail.

Why This Psalm Moved Me to the Core.
I have full assurance that because of my faith in the fact that Jesus died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, that I am His. The same power that rose Jesus from the dead is the same power that resides in me (Luke 24:49, Ephesians 1:13-14). These truths alone help me rest knowing that because Jesus did all the work, I have nothing to fear. Nothing can separate me from His love. 

When I read Psalms like this I am moved beyond words. God is my refuge. He is the source of my strength. He is my fortress. He is in control of the desolations (verse 8b) and He brings them to an end (verse 9). When I read attributes (yellow) like "he utters his voice, the earth melts." (verse 6) I find myself in awe (and a bit fearful) of this powerful God of the universe. 

Those verses are an amazing introduction to what God states in verse 10, "Be still, and know that I am God." 

Though the earth fails.
Though wars wage.
Though earthquakes quake.
Though volcanoes erupt.
Though glaciers melt.
Though presidents fail.
Though fires break out.

Just be still. Be still and know that God is God. He is in control, He is with His people. He is our fortress. 

That is extremely comforting after this last year. So much has happened. Though January and February of 2017 were two of the hardest months I've ever experienced, though April brought many changes to my lifestyle, though July 8 brought sorrow, be still and know that God is God. He will be exalted. He will reign supreme in 2018 as well as He did in 2017. Of that I am certain. 

That is the woman I must become, a woman who laughs at the time to come (Proverbs 31:25). Who, like Sarah, considers God faithful to deliver on His promises (Hebrews 11:11) and does not fear anything that is frightening (1 Peter 3:6b). Though the earth fails, though nations wage war, though earthquakes quake, and fires roar, I do not have to fear because God is God and He is in control.

Story Behind It.
In my daily reading I reached this Psalm the week before a friend passed away. I was so moved by this Psalm I wrote down verse 10 so I could be reminded of it daily, thus committing it to memory. It was this Psalm the Holy Spirit brought to mind over and over and over again after learning of her death. In moments when I felt my faith might fail, or that my assurance was tested, or grief overwhelmed me, I opened my Bible to this Psalm over and over again. And in those moments when my Bible wasn't readily available, "Be still, and know that I am God" played time and time again. This portion of Scripture offered immense comfort in the midst of sorrow.

Just be still.

Then this Christmas my sister-in-law made me the most precious gift. She visited a few weeks after all of this, and I honestly do not remember if I told her this story or not, but I am incredibly thankful for what she made me. It is near and dear to my heart...
What an incredible reminder this verse holds of this last year, which will now hang in our home for years to come. So no matter what God gives or takes away, just be still and know that God is God.

Be fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment