Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten Plus Ten [Favorite Book Characters]

Melany and I share a love for books and I have a feeling there might be some similarities in our list today (as usual) so after checking out my favorite book characters, head on over to Melany's!
1. Ares in Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. Ares is the bat that bonds to the main character Gregor. I love Ares because he is a loner (considered strange and a rule breaker by everyone else) but he has a gentle spirit and is intensely loyal, but horrible things keep happening to him.

2. Forney Hull in Billie Lett's Where the Heart Is. He's devoted, smart, a little weird and easy to fall in love with....

3. Zane in the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. Why do I always fall in love with the characters that the authors destroy in some way?! My heart is aching a tad. It's a good thing it's a fictional story! Back to Zane: I'm finding there's one underlying theme in the characters I like: loyalty. Not only is Zane loyal, but he is sensible, and he's a leader.

4. It's a toss up between Janet Evanovich's Grandma Mazur and Lulu in her Stephanie Plum Series.   They.are.hilarious. I don't know how Janet Evanvich came up with these crazy characters, but they make they make the books worth reading and giggling over time and time again. Speaking of giggling... Diesel also makes me laugh hysterically. He has this weird way of magically appearing out of nowhere. Plus he has a monkey as a pet. Oh and then there's Walter "Moon-Man" Dunphy who's one hilarious dude. P.S. I'm also rooting for Ranger. If Janet is smart, we'll never find out who Stephanie picks. (Sigh.)

5. The tree in The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Despite the selfishness of the character she loves, who barely offers anything in return, she gives and gives until there's nothing left. The only one I know who possess selflessness like that is Jesus Christ, who gave His own life for those He loved. Shel Silverstein may not have written it with that connection in mind, but I couldn't help myself. This book offers parents a great illustration to teach selflessness!

6. Sodapop in S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders. Not just because he's handsome (especially Rob Lowe who played him in the movie) but because he is goofy, laid back and every one liked being around him.

7. Betsie Ten Boom. Although she is a real person, I "met" her in her sister Corrie Ten Boom's book The Hiding Place. Corrie described Betsie's prayer life as undistinguishable from her day to day talk. She faithfully served others in Christ's name and it cost her her life. I admire her to the utmost degree.

8. Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I like his spunk and his honesty.

9. Elihu in the book of Job, who had the courage to rebuke Job and his friends and tell them that in the midst of trials and tribulations, no matter what, "... stop and consider the wondrous works of God." (Job 37:14)

10. The Woman who washed Jesus' feet. Oh, I wish I knew her name. I wrote a detailed description on why she's one of my favorite Bible characters a while back, check it out. Basically, that could've been me. The one who people gossiped about because of my sin. She humbled herself and asked for forgiveness with such an intimate form of servitude, while trying to ignore the whispers. I admire that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment