Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Canceled Debt

Yesterday I finished reading the story of the woman who kissed Jesus' feet and washed his feet with her hair, in Luke 7:36 to the end of the chapter. I've heard this story countless times and yesterday after reading it I couldn't stop thinking about why she did it.

Jesus explains it all, but I have never, in all the years of knowing this story understood her reasoning or paid that much attention to what JESUS SAID. (Perhaps I ignored that part?) But, in the past I wondered, why on earth would you kiss someone's feet? Or wash them with your own hair?

To show your gratefulness! In those days washing someone's feet was an act of a servant. This simple act of washing His feet was the ultimate form of "thankful" worship! The story is now one of my absolute favorites because I can relate to this woman on SO MANY LEVELS.

The Pharisee that invited Jesus to his home made a comment that I had never noticed before,
"If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner." (Luke 7:39)
That woman would've been me. I think back to my years in high school, college and even the years after college where I rejected God and His teaching and was more interested in the party life, just hearing His name made my gut turn. I'll never forget that feeling! It literally makes me sick! The Pharisee's would've been saying that about me! "If this man were truly a prophet, he would know what sort of woman Becky really is, for she is a sinner." It makes me cringe, if I would've heard that being said in front of Jesus, I'd be shaking in my boots. I might have wet my pants a little....

BUT, I absolutely LOVE Jesus' response, (Luke 7:40-50)

"Simon, I have something to say to you."

And he answered, "Say it, Teacher."

"A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more? Simon answered, "The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt." And he said to him, "You have judged rightly." Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, "Who is this, who even forgives sins?" And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."
Wow. She was more appreciative of God's grace because He saved her from her GREAT sin. Although she didn't deserve it, Jesus saved her because of her faith! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God for his mercy. He saved a worthless sinner = me. I don't deserve it. I don't even deserve to wash or kiss his feet. But, like this woman, I will glorify Him daily. I will thank Him for what He did on the cross! I will love Him with every ounce of my being, because when I deserved love the least, He gave the ultimate sacrifice. Like this woman I am extra grateful, because he canceled ALL of my debts, which are MANY.

So don't think for a minute that God won't save a sinner "like me;" He draws sinners extra close to Himself because we are more grateful for His sacrifice. Without HIM, we know we deserve to die, so we give glory to HIM ALONE, knowing we had nothing to do with it. Proclaim HIM daily!
I happened across this picture many months after writing this, but I think the picture accurately depicts what it might have been like for this woman. See all the gossip going on? The judgmental thoughts... the gasps... the horrors... nothing has changed in today's society. We still have Pharisee's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment