Thursday, February 21, 2013

"How Tweet It Is" Baby Shower

I recently took over the task of throwing baby showers for all the expecting mothers in our church. I enjoyed throwing the first shower so much that I can't wait to begin working on the next one (Yes, our church is overflowing with BABIES and we LOVE it.)

I asked Laura, the mommy, to give me an idea of what little Reese's nursery looked like, and when she sent me a picture I immediately hit Pinterest to find ideas for her pink and green birdie theme. The IDEAS! There were so many of them and they were all so stinkin' cute!

Theme: "How Tweet It Is"

Color Scheme: Pink and Green

Theme Verse: Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?"

Food: Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies, Kiwi, Strawberries, Green Apples, Grapes, Guacamole Dip and Chips 

Beverage: Pink Lemonade 

Activities:
  • I read a story to Reese called, "The Story of Blue Wings" which was in a collection of short stories and poems by Ada M. Skinner and Eleanor L. Skinner. If you run across this book, "A Very Little Child's Book of Stories" get it. This was my favorite part of the baby shower. Perhaps that's the nerd in me, but it's such a cute, cute story of a little girl who mends a blue birds wing until he is able to fly away on his own, even though she has to let him go, they'll be forever friends.
  • Tweet Little Messages for Reese 
  • This cute little keepsake book was where the guests signed in and where the gifts were written down. In it there was a section for these little "tweets" where the guests wrote pieces of advice or well wishes and glued it in the book for Reese to read someday.
  • Late Night Tweets for Mommy
  • Each mom can totally relate to late night diaper changes and feeding - they're exhausting. How much better would it be if we had little messages on the diapers to make the experience just a little bit more enjoyable? That's what we did for mommy. We wrote little "tweets" on these late night diapers. Some of them were pretty creative and funny, like "Surprise inside!" or "This one's for Daddy!" Everyone had a lot of fun with this activity and wanted to write on more than one diaper!
  • Devotional: Our pastor's wife used the theme verse (Matthew 6:26) to talk about how Jesus taught us not to worry, because he has promised to take care of those whom He loves. I mean, look at the birds? He takes care of them, so He will take care of you too little Reese, and don't ever forget that! Lean on Him. Trust in Him. And you will find peace and hope.
  • "A Little Birdie Told Me" and other Idioms Game
    • I read these idioms out loud and the guests were to guess the meaning of each. The one who got the most was the winner! At first it was a silent game, but after awhile they had fun discussing the possible meaning and laughing at all the possibilities.
      • A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush (having something that is certain is better than taking a risk)
      • Mums the word (to keep quiet or say nothing)
      • Put the cat among the pigeons (to cause trouble)
      • Bird brain (stupid)
      • Feather in one's cap (Something to be proud of)
      • For the birds (not interesting, worthless)
      • In fine feather (good humor)
      • Lovely weather for the ducks (rainy)
      • dead duck (someone in a hopeless situation)
      • What's good for the goose is good for the gander (what's good for one person should be good for someone else)
Prizes:
  • I was surprised how many pink and green goodies Dollar General had! First of all the bags were an easy snag. They were $1 each with pink and green tissue paper. I grabbed pink aloe socks with pink and green nail polish as one prize, a pink Glade candle that smelled heavenly, individual pink lemonade packets with a pink cup and straw, and little pink buckets filled with Andes Chocolate Green mints.
  • "The Early Bird Catches the Worm" (The first person to arrive, got the first prize.)
  • The winner of the Idiom game also won a prize.
  • Lastly, under a few chairs there was a bird that said, "A Tweet For You!" Whoever was so lucky as to sit on one of those chairs also received a prize.
Decorations:
The Prizes with a feather wreath to hang in her nursery.
I had so much fun putting this together (okay, minus the time I was cursing the feather boa and hot glue gun) but the bird and the little flowers were so much fun and I LOVE how it turned out.
Above the fireplace I hung a clothesline filled with pink and green clothing, a birdie bib, and cute little socks. Birds were also hanging out on the clothes line... here's a close up of each of them that I cut out of felt, decorated and hot glued a clothes pin on the back...




Here are the centerpieces for the tables. It was so easy to find a stick, glue on a nest that I found at Hobby Lobby (2 for $3) and set my little birdies around it.

Close up of the table birdies that I made out of scrapbook paper and wire that I bent into "heart feet!"
Food Table...

I painted polka dots on the eggs, and didn't update my close up picture for some reason. :-/ It took me FOREVER to come up with a design that I actually liked for this frame. I created something, destroyed it, started over at least 3 times!

This frame has the theme verse on it, Matthew 6:26.

This frame was created to place a picture of Reese inside, after all, she is a tweety pie!

The sign says, "watch me grow" and was also created for a picture. I ordered the little bird house off of Amazon from a company called Miniature Gardening for $1.59! 
Invite: (There was only one person Laura needed an invite sent to that didn't go to our church, that was easy peasy! So I simply created one with the materials I already had!)

All in all it was a great time! I had fun putting it all together. I used Saturday afternoons when my hubby could take Brielle to work on it and used many nap times, and a few play times here and there on the off chance she was satisfied playing by herself. Thankfully, it was a no stress experience. I had a blast on the day it finally came together because it seemed like Laura, who this was all about in the first place, was enjoying herself. Hopefully, she liked everything and walked away with a smile.

I have to say it was all pretty "tweet" just like Laura's little Reese.

No comments:

Post a Comment