Wednesday, August 14, 2013

My Brother, My Best Friend

Yesterday was lefty day. A day to celebrate the 10% of the population who are left-handed. Matt is a lefty and I grew up believing the myth that left handed people are smarter than the average jo. I still believe that. I spent all day yesterday thinking about him and how much I love him, but neglected to tell him, so today's post is all about him.
Isn't he just adorable with his bright red curly hair and chubby cheeks? I see his daughter Alexi all over this picture.
Matt has been my best friend for my entire life. We are only fifteen months apart, so I do not remember life without him in it. We are two peas in a pod.


This was at an awards ceremony for band in high school. I'm assuming we were supposed to be quiet, I can't remember what we were laughing about, but it looks good enough to risk it.
Growing up I dragged him along in every exersion I decided to undertake. I specifically remember this picture of us at church: me holding his hand and literally dragging him to an unknown destination. From the picture you could tell his short stubby little legs were having a hard time keeping up, but you know what? He was wearing a smile. That's how it was for Matt's entire life with three sisters. You have to admire him for his patience, but also because our life is full of wonderful memories. He didn't let "hanging out with three girls" stop his fun. See what I mean? Fun times...
And then there's the times I made him play wedding.
When I got married I forced him to reinact our childhood picture (haha, notice how I made him hold my hand?!).
In all of those goofy games you know what stands out to me now? He never once complained! Life hasn't really changed much since. We are still dragging each other around on little exersions, not as many as in our childhood. In fact, not nearly enough. I miss him.

Both of us are married now, with our spouse being #1 and both of us are busy with jobs and kids, so our life of childhood play has changed significantly. The last time I stayed with his family, however, we did dump the Lego's out to reminisce.
That night, just sitting there building a Lego town was one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a long time. Let me tell you why...

Matt is not a man of words. So when he says something you better listen - it's either thought provoking or hilarious. When we build Lego's we don't spend much time talking, just building, enjoying the relaxing silence in an all too busy world.

Matt is a builder. He can come up with the most amazing Lego vehicles including his own design of a logging truck, firetruck, sports cars, and the list could go on forever. The intricate details amaze me still. He's no different with a hammer and nails; and once he gets under the hood of a vehicle he's in heaven.

He was so proud of that truck and all the work he put into it!
Matt is a jack of all trades (just like our dad). He's an electrician, expert logger, a fireman who travels all over the United States to fight fires (right now he's in Utah helping fight the fire there - pray for him!), a carpenter, and he has one heck of a work ethic.
He has a HUGE heart. If he writes you a letter - be prepared to bawl your eyes out. If he loves you, he will do the simplest things to make you feel loved.
Like picking flowers for all my friends when we graduated from college.
Or putting his arms around all three of his sisters...
Or in the way he holds his son...

Or hugs his wife.
His huge heart was evident from the beginning, even in the way he dealt with animals.
You can't not love him the moment you meet him. He's a loyal, trustworthy, "what do you need? I'll do it for you" kind of friend.
His shirts says, "Mothers Love Me" and is that ever the truth.
I don't feel like I have to write a lot to give you an idea of the man he's become, because these pictures speak for themselves. I'm proud to know him and I'm proud to call him my brother. I love him so much and I can rest in this one amazing fact: that Matt and I are siblings for an eternity because we can rest in Jesus' saving grace. I can only imagine the time I'll get to spend with the one's I love once I get there. Quite frankly, I can hardly wait.

Matt... do you think God will let us play Lego's and listen to Jars of Clay when we get to heaven? ;) I hope so...

No comments:

Post a Comment