Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I wonder, what was it like to be Jesus' mother?

I've been reading through the Gospels and I finished Mark just in time to start Luke this Christmas season. How "ironic!" =)

There is one tiny verse that I read today that I heard in church the other morning that blows me away,
"(and a sword will pierce through your own soul also)" (2:35)
Let me explain why. There was a righteous man, Simeon, who was told that he would not die until he had seen the Lord's Christ, and as Mary and Joseph brought baby Jesus into the temple Simeon blessed them and told Mary that a "sword will pierce her soul" because of what this child came on earth to accomplish and how it will be accomplished. I've been thinking of that from a new mommy's perspective. Especially today as I prepare to take her for her first shots. I've been dreading this day, knowing that it's going to hurt her. But shots are nothing compared to what Mary had to watch her son endure! I cannot imagine the agony Mary went through as Jesus hung on the cross and reading that verse makes me admire her for her faith in God's plan and her willingness to endure the love of a child - knowing she was going to have to watch him die for the sins of the world. And not just any death! A torturous, long, horrific death! Mom's can you imagine?! My heart goes out to Mary.

I was telling Kyle last night that I can totally understand why people become hermits, living in their home never loving anyone, because losing someone you love would be so incredibly painful. I'm sure Mary felt that "loving someone so much it hurts" kind of love. I can't wait to give her a monster hug in heaven and tell her how much I admire her as a mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment