Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Series on Me and My Big Mouth [Day 1: Cursing]

Yesterday's Top Ten Topic was reasons to Watch What You Say. Unfortunately that idea was one that came from hard lessons learned. Like when I spewed vomit all over Facebook through private messages, status updates, a friends wall... or from times I sent emails I never should've sent... or gossiped... or cussed... used harsh, angry words... irritated others with my know-it-all attitude... etc. etc. This top ten topic was an excellent prelude into this series that's been sitting in my draft section for many, many months.

The series has been floating around as drafts because it's embarrassing to admit sins and struggles aloud, but I believe that confessing my sins and struggles to fellow believers unifies us as we face struggles together and allow the Holy Spirit to work within us as we study His Word. There's so much healing that occurs when we pray for and counsel one another! That is why I will continue to be transparent.

Starting today I decided to write about me and my big mouth. Over the last few of years my mouth has tamed significantly in five major areas:
  1. Cursing
  2. Venting
  3. Gossiping
  4. Harsh Words
  5. Excessive Talking
After I talk about each area and why those areas have been a source of frustration for me as I'm learning more and more about God through His Word, I'm also going to spend some time talking about what should come out of my mouth. The above list is what I don't want to participate in, but there are times that those things are the first to pop out of my trap. Thankfully it's way less than what it used to be and it was my big mouth that forced me to understand the meaning of conviction and correction and how to deal with it (hence this embarrassing post). I'm utterly ashamed of who I once was! Thank goodness God is continually working on my heart and forcing change in those areas I listed (among others). I'm not entirely sure why, but over the next few days, as I talk about those 5 areas, I want to give a picture of who I once was and then talk about four pieces that are asked of a Titus Woman:
  1. Teaching what is good.
  2. Love & Kindness
  3. Self-control
  4. Purity
Over the next few days I'll also share different verses that give reason to think about what comes from the mouth. Starting with...

Today, I'm going to talk about...

CURSING!

If a word happens to fly out of your mouth, don't apologize to me. There's no need to apologize for something I'm guilty of doing myself. Curse words were a part of my normal vocabulary just a few short years ago. I find my former vocabulary baffling. Why did I talk like that? It sounds so silly! Despite my current feelings about cussing, I still let one slip once and awhile and I curse myself for it. I hate it when that's the only word coming to my measly brain and as a result it's the word that pops out. I don't excuse myself, I simply want to smack my forehead in frustration. Here's why...

1. It makes me sound like an uneducated fool who can think of nothing better to say.

2. It does not build one another up. Some people find it offensive. I really do want people to take me seriously (most of the time, sometimes I get carried away with sarcasm). But in all seriousness -- by cursing am I helping them or do they stop listening the moment anything comes out of my mouth?
"Let no corrupt talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." (Ephesians 4:29) 
3. It does not set me apart. As Christians, Christ is working within us to set us apart from the world. Vulgarity does nothing to show that we are followers of Christ. The Bible teaches that we need to be imitators of God (Ephesians 5:1) and one such way in which we are set apart is by what we let out of our mouths. Ephesians was written to bring the Jews and the Gentiles together through the mystery of Christ. We are unified through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. By cursing I am not unified with my fellow believers because I am not walking as Christ walked, which is why the bold statement is singular and the explanation plural. WE are called to imitate Christ, and when I sin by cursing, I am not walking in a manner worthy of my calling in Christ, which in turn does not unify believers in any shape or form. Which goes back to 1, 2 and 4: when I lack wisdom and self-control, it does not build my fellow believers up, which equals division instead of unified Christians.

"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving." (Ephesians 5:4, which applies specifically to sexual vulgarity)

4. It shows how desperately I lack self-control. This one is kind of two fold. One of the things Paul writes in Titus is the key to women's discipleship: our conduct. The older women are to teach the younger women what it means to display reverent behavior. Two of those behaviors older women are supposed to teach are self control and purity. If I lack self-control with my mouth by cursing I am also guilty of impurity. To be pure means that I am clean and modest in the way that I dress, what I say, how I look at someone, how I talk, &etc. To lack self-control by cursing, my conduct is the exact opposite of purity. Cursing shows a dirty, immodest mouth that does not build others up, set me apart,  or proclaim the glory of God.

And that is my goal in life.

Soli Deo Gloria = To God Alone be the Glory (Latin Term)
As a result of these truths, I am working on what comes out of my mouth because I simply want to glorify HIM. Cursing, venting, gossiping or complaining does not do that. I'll prove it to you over the next few days. Stay tuned for tomorrow's topic on venting (it's a doozy).

No comments:

Post a Comment