Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday's Top Ten [Motivate Me]

We all have those days where we don't want to do a single thing (like today when it's snowy and cold outside and all I want to do is snuggle up to a good book and a cup of tea). I also know we all have a few tricks to help us through those moments (and yes, I put a few of them to use today).

Melany and I decided to share a few our own personal tricks that motivate us to get it done (whatever "it" is) when our mood suggests we do otherwise.
1. Music. I have specific playlists with songs relating to titles such as: God is Great, God is Sovereign, Sanctify Me, God is Faithful, Rest in Christ, Christ Alone, &etc. Each one helps me focus on God rather than my myself (and my crummy mood). 

2. Prayer. Each time a mood strikes that prevents me from being thankful, positive, or motivated to accomplish what's set before me, I pray that God changes my heart. "Give me a servants heart. Help me to joyfully accomplish each task as I glorify you in all that I say and do." It's amazing how quickly He begins to work on my heart and mind. Even if my mood doesn't change, I somehow "get through" each task as I talk to Him.

3. Make a list and check it off. Having a visual to show what I need to accomplish and what I've already finished is a huge motivator for me. There's just something about checking an item off my to do list that impels me to complete the next one. Getting started is always the trick though...

4. Write in my thankful journal. When I begin to focus on all that God has blessed me with, my attitude begins to change dramatically. There are times I just need to sit down and write. Sometimes just reading about all that I was thankful for in the days prior helps so much.

5. Fresh air and sunshine. Depending on the weather, of course, I use this one often. There's not a lot that's more refreshing than vitamin D and a breeze.

6. Bible reading. There's nothing on the face of the earth that will provide more hope and encouragement than the promises outlined in God's Word (read Romans 15:4). You need a reminder that God is faithful, sovereign, and worthy of all our trust? Go to His Word. Like I said before, once I focus my mind on the things of God, I forget about my attitude and joyfully serve Him because He is SO WORTHY OF IT.

7. Discipleship relationships. When I'm down in the dumps I shoot a text or vox the women who hold me accountable to God's Word and ask them to pray for me. It's so encouraging to know there's a group of women who understand and are willing to tackle your struggles alongside you with prayer and words of encouragement. Even if it's something as simple as, "Will you pray for me today? I really have a crummy attitude..." I don't hesitate because it's the small things that can derail a person's will to achieve a goal.

8. Reminding myself of His purpose for my life. I have a Homemakers Creed hanging up above my "to-do" list that I believe perfectly describes my role as a Christian wife and mother. If I'm needing some motivation I reread these belief statements (or Titus 2 or Proverbs 31), resign my name, and get to work. Sometimes I need to do this multiple times throughout my day and ask, "Okay God, help me remember what YOU'RE calling me to do for YOUR glory!" He's pretty good at answering that prayer.

9. Rehearse the gospel to myself daily. The gospel cultivates within me a joy that is incomparable to anything else on the planet. It is in this message that I find encouragement, hope, humility, and the utmost desire to serve a God who has accomplished a mighty powerful work in my life and in my fellow believers. It is because of the gospel that I can be thankful in all circumstances, because I deserve absolutely nothing but hell. So if there's even a drop in my cup I should be thankful for it. Heck, if I even have a cup I should be thankful! When I view circumstances in this light my attitude is uplifted and my cup is overflowing.

10. Adopt the "Just Do It" attitude. Even after trying these techniques my "want to" doesn't always change, but the necessity of completing a task remains the same. I have to remind myself on many occasions to simply "suck it up cupcake" and do it - irregardless of how I feel. And when I apply #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. 7, 8, and 9 to this attitude - 9 times out of 10 - I'm motivated because I got off my butt and was able to check off one thing on my list, thus improving my attitude for the next item and so on and so on (see #3).


You have probably figured this out by reading previous posts as well, but I am not big on "self help" and "self love". I believe in relying on a great and mighty God who can work wonders in our lives - in the big and small moments. I have recognized that if I fail to notice Him at work in the small moments of my life, I fail to notice Him at all. Once I began to glorify Him for something as simple as changing my attitude, it was easy to see Him at work in all aspects of my life. I hope the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment