Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Tuesday's Top Ten [Favorite Places to Read]

Yesterday snowballs fell from the sky. Literally. Giant snowflakes straight from the sky and all I wanted was to enjoy it from my window seat, coffee and book in hand. Rainy or snowy days are best spent in a place where I can see the outdoors and enjoy it without being in it. Unfortunately it was a busy, busy morning that didn't allow for that luxury, but it was a wonderful idea. This is one of my favorite places to enjoy a book on crummy weather days...

When the weather is sunny and warm my favorite place to read a book is lounging on a hammock or blanket letting the sun warm my bones. If I wasn't allergic to every type of grass in existence I'd enjoy laying on the grass directly, but because hives and itchy, swollen eyes are zero fun I opt for blankets and hammocks instead.

Where the sun is. During the winter the sun streams through the giant living room window, hitting the end of the couch directly - and that is where I like to sit and read while the girls finish breakfast. I'm usually freezing so any place where the sun is streaming in, is my favorite place to be.

In bed, under the covers, cuddled next to my hubby (who is also reading a book). There's not a better way to ready my head for the pillow.

Next to my husband. It doesn't really matter where, but if I'm reading a book next to him and then stopping to chat about it every once in a while - it's a wonderful place to be. One of our favorite places to read together began in the car as we drove the long trek to my sister's home for a visit. I opened page one of J.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and began reading out loud as my hubby drove. It took a while to finish it, but (some of the time) it kept me awake and kept him entertained as he drove down the boring interstate. 

Soaking in the bathtub. Especially if it's a jacuzzi, next to a view and a fireplace (This has never actually happened, but a library with a jacuzzi, view and a fireplace is on my bucket list. I may never come out - which is probably a good reason to never have this dream come to fruition, lol.) A book in the bathtub, however, has happened and is quite delightful - so I can only imagine how much more enjoyable a place it would be if all those things were included!

Quiet places. One year I heard one of my favorite book lovers express her one Mother's Day wish: an hour or two in a quiet coffee shop, enjoying every last sip and reading without interruption. As I listened to her reveal her Mother's Day hankering, it became my own. Just give me a quiet place to read without interruption. Despite the love and delight little people bring into the life of a mommy - we still need quiet places every once in a while to refresh and refuel the soul.

With my children. Sometimes a break is needed, but most of the time, one of my favorite places is wherever my girls are enjoying a story. Having them in my arms, listening to a favorite children's book, makes my heart content and happy.

One of the things on my bucket list is to read a book - from beginning to end - on a beach. That sounds like an absolutely refreshing, delightful, amazing, best of the best vacations ever. Since I have two crazy kids who enjoy water more than land, this relaxing endeavor will have to wait.

This may sound crazy, but more times than not I opt for our dining room table. I can spread out! Bible - check. Pens - check. Highlighters - check. Prayer journal - check. Study materials - check. Coffee - check. It's my favorite place to study, meditate and respond in writing with plenty of space to accomplish this wonderfully delightful activity. 


Honestly, no matter where I go, I bring a book along and if there is a time and a place to actually enjoy the art of reading it - then it's a good place!

-----

As a reading and writing teacher, one of my favorite things to discuss was favorite places to read. This helped me determine my readers from my non-readers, while helping those non-readers dream up a place they might actually enjoy a book. This was one of the first steps I took to cultivate the love of reading. Find a drink... grab a snack... pick a book all about your favorite thing to do (for example, most boys picked hunting)... go to your spot... and enjoy. It always amazed me how quickly they got lost in the idea itself the more we talked about it. As the year progressed and the love of reading grew - they were finally able to talk about their favorite place to read! 

If you have a struggling reader be creative in the places you go to read. I read of a mom who made it her goal to go on adventures with snacks, drinks, and a book. They went to ghost towns, picked a hiking trail with marvelous views, the zoo, historical landmarks, &etc. This was a monthly activity that the kids grew to love and became some of their sweetest memories - I want to be that mom! Go on an adventure, learn and see something new, and then take time to read a book! How awesome does that sound?!

No comments:

Post a Comment