Friday, August 15, 2014

Traditional Bahamian Meal [Boiled Fish]

My sister made this for me when she visited after Brielle was born. After my second surgery I lost my appetite but I couldn't get enough of this particular dish. Don't let the boring name fool you. It's so yummy!

When we visited the Bahamas in February David made it for us as a breakfast meal, which I thought was a tad weird at first, but it was delightful - especially with a perfect Bloody Mary, avocado, and Johnny Cake.
Bahamian Boiled Fish

Ingredients: 
3-4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp thyme (more if needed, it should cover top of pot)
1/2 onion
5 potatoes
3-5 Limes
4 fillets of white fish
Grits

Directions:
  1. Peel and cut potatoes. 
  2. Fill a large pot with water. 
  3. Add butter, lime juice, thyme and salt to taste.
  4. When potatoes begin to soften add onion.
  5. When potatoes are finished cooking add fish.
  6. Boil for another 10-15 minutes until fish is cooked.
  7. Cook grits according to directions (don't forget to add butter!)
Enjoy by pouring the boiled fish over a serving of grits and top it off with avocado!

No comments:

Post a Comment