Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Tuesday's Top Ten [Free E-Books Worth Reading]

The best kept "secret" for all Kindle users (through the app and device alike) is that the classics are free! I've definitely taken advantage and have thoroughly enjoyed many free books, in fact when I visit this link, I add many more titles to my ever growing "want-to-read" list. I have read a few free books not worth sharing, but this list is worth checking out... 

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is one of the best love stories ever written. It's full of humor, conflict, and all the elements that make a story great.

2. Mom Enough is available through the website Desiring God. There's multiple downloading options if you follow the link provided. I haven't finished this book, but just by the first few chapters, I can tell you it is most definitely worth reading. It cuts to the heart of the idiocracy of mommy wars and I can't wait to talk about it here.

3. What's the Difference: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible by John Piper is a condensed version of Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood, edited by Wayne Grudem and John Piper. I am also excited about reviewing this book here because it has clarified the distinct differences between a man and a woman according to how God created us - using Scripture. It's beautiful.

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is another one of the great classic love stories with an unexpected twist making it worth downloading.

5. The Complete Guide To Clinical Aromatherapy and Essential Oils of The Physical Body: Essential Oils for Beginners by Elizabeth Ashley is a helpful resource to keep on hand if you use essential oils.


The next five are books I have not read but are on my want-to-read list for sure:

6.  The Story of Awkward by R.K. Ryals made the list just because of it's description. I'm intrigued: 
If you are looking for a happy book about beautiful people, this is the wrong story. If you are looking for a narrative without emotion, without regrets, and without mistakes, this is definitely the wrong story. This is by no means an uncomplicated tale about uncomplicated people. It is by no means sweet or light. 
This story is ugly. This story is complicated. This story is emotional. This story is tragic. 
In short, this story is about being awkward.
Peregrine Storke is an artist with an odd sketchbook full of pictures she’s drawn since she was a child. It is a book full of strange sketches and awkward characters, for there is no better way to hide from bullying and life than to create a world of your own. With a stroke of her pencil, she has given life to a spectacled princess, a freckle-nosed king, a candy loving troll, a two-horned unicorn, and a graceless fairy. 
At nineteen, Peregrine leaves her home, her sketchbook, and awkwardness behind. But what happens when something goes wrong in the world of Awkward? Trapped inside of her complex realm with the bully she thought to leave behind, Peregrine discovers there is nothing worse than falling for your own villain. 
7. Beauty and the Beast by Jenni James made the list because I'm totally into the TV series Once Upon a Time and this sounds like it's worth a look...

8. Dark Genesis by A.D. Koboah peeked my curiosity considering my interest in slavery. 

Classics such as these made my list because I grew up watching the movies time and time again. At one point and time in my childhood I read each of them, but it's been so long I can't wait to revisit each book.

9. Pollyanna by Eleanor Hodgman was such an optimistic little girl and when tragic events come her way only one threatens to derail her outlook on life. It's one I need to reread as an adult because the grateful attitude is one I need to embrace daily.

10. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott because it's hard not to fall in love with all four of the sisters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment