I get pretty excited to do this ministry every year! My only wish is that I could actually witness the child opening it. Still, as we fill it we say prayers for the individual and imagine what he/she might look like or whether or not they'll like what we've picked. It.is.so.much.fun! I highly recommend committing to this ministry.
- Visit www.samaritanspurse.org
- Scroll mid-way down the page and click on the "Operation Christmas Child" logo.
- All the information you need is right there, but I'll go ahead and talk about it here as well.
- What is it? Children around the world do not experience the joy of receiving gifts. By filling a "shoe box" full of toys, necessities, games, &etc. you are not only filling them with joy, but sharing the message of Jesus Christ and the hope we have in Him. I love what Samaritan's Purse says about this organization, "Since 1993, more than 100 million boys and girls in over 130 countries have experienced God’s love through the power of simple shoebox gifts from Operation Christmas Child. Samaritan’s Purse works with local churches and ministry partners to deliver the gifts and share the life-changing Good News of Jesus Christ."
- How do I do it? Grab a shoe box, or a plastic tub and fill it with the age appropriate (pick ages 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14) (girl or boy) stuff. In the past we've filled it with crayons, coloring books, socks, balls, dolls, toothbrush, bars of soap, etc. etc. Samaritan's Purse offers a detailed description of appropriate items here.
- Once your shoe box is packed, print off the label, and attach it to your box.
- Find any drop off location between November 18-25 or simply mail your shoe box to:
801 Bamboo Road
Boone, NC 28607
This is a great opportunity for your kids to get involved in giving to others. And more importantly you will be blessing the life of a child who may have absolutely nothing, but will now receive gifts galore as well as a message of hope. Please consider joining this operation! If anything I encourage you to check out their website: www.samaritanspurse.org and visit all the ways you can help spread the gospel message.
Spread the word!