Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday's Top Ten [Songs & Artists]

These are in no particular order, but each of these songs are my favs for one reason or another.

1. It Is Well With My Soul - If you've never read Horatio Spaford's story behind writing this song, you need to because it is heart wrenching.

2. Indescribable by Christ Tomlin (Laura Story actually wrote this song, and I love both versions.) - There's a huge story behind this one, read about it here.

3. She's Everything by Brad Paisley - Before Kyle and I got married my maid of honor asked Kyle if there was a song that immediately came to mind when he thought of me. She said he didn't even skip a beat, or think about it, this is what he told her. So of course we danced to it at our wedding and now whenever I hear it, it's an automatic reminder of how much he loves me.

4. Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band - First of all, Zac Brown Band is one of my favorite bands, secondly this song is a reminder to enjoy the little things in life.

5. In Christ Alone by Keith and Kristyn Getty and Alison Kraus - Alison Kraus is another favorite artist so I automatically like anything she sings, but this song reminds me of my life mantra: In Christ Alone my hope is found, HE is my rock, my life, my strength, my song.

6. If You Want Me To by Ginny Owens - Her story is an amazing one. She's blind and received a teaching certificate in music. Schools refused to hire a her and through her discouragement, she became a respected musician in her church and the Christian music industry. I saw her at a Women of Faith conference many years ago and have loved her since. This song's lyrics are phenomenal, "The pathway is broken and the signs are unclear and I don't know the reason why you brought me here, but just because you love me the way that you do, I'm going to walk through the valley if you want me to, cause I'm not who I was when I took my first step, and I'm clinging to the promise you're not through with me yet, so with all of these trials bring me closer to you, and I will go through the fire if you want me to. It may not be the way I would've chosen when you lead me through a world that's not my home, but you never said it would be easy, you only said I'll never leave you alone." Her style is eclectic, her voice is soft, but strong, and her message is an excellent one.

7. Blessings by Laura Story - Due to this song I had a revelation about answers to prayer. Her story behind this album is also pretty amazing.

8. Better Dig Two by The Band Perry - I LOVE their music. This song is so catching and this line... "I told you on the day we wed I was gonna love you till I's dead..." Yup, we need more lines like that.

9. Great is Thy Faithfulness by Fernando Ortega - Sometimes the oldies, the classics are the best. This one has a more modern feel, but the lyrics remind me that despite trials God is faithful. "Morning by morning new mercies I see, all that I've needed your hand hath provided..." Pretty much sums it all up.

10. Our Great God by Todd Agnew - The lyrics speak for themselves, "Eternal God unchanging, mysterious and unknown, your boundless love unfailing... Hallelujah, glory be to our great God... Lord, we are weak and frail help us in the storm, surround us with your angels, hold us in your arms, our cold ruthless enemy, his pleasure is our harm RISE UP OH LORD AND HE WILL FLEE BEFORE OUR SOVEREIGN GOD!" What an amazing song of praise to a God so worthy of it!

(Plus one...)

11. Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker - The moment Brielle heard it, she LOVED it. It's been her favorite ever since. It's so cute, the moment it comes on she starts smiling, dancing and bouncing. She has good tastes.

I actually have a "top twenty" playlist on iTunes and it was hard to cut that in half, but these songs are by far my favorite. They're not just beautifully written and performed, but (for the most part) the meaning and stories behind them keep my focus on what's important. This list grows every day and there's always a song that comes up on Pandora that blows.my.mind. and then put on my iTunes wish list. I'm sure songs like Mercy Me's "Word of God Speaks" and "Desert Song" by Hillsong or Casting Crown's "Praise You in This Storm" will make the list. It's a very special list. Sometimes I just put this list on repeat - all day.

--------------------
I decided to make two "Top Ten" lists today. I couldn't make a favorite song list without my favorite artist list, I love their style and their voice so much that I could listen to their music all day: (also in no particular order)

1. The Band Perry (Every song that has come out has become an instant favorite.)
2. ADELE (She has this incredibly blue-sy voice and when I heard her for the first time was in awe over her popularity - FINALLY someone deserving that isn't hip-hop or pop!)
3. Alison Krauss (LOVE her voice and her message.)
4. Darius Rucker (He sings my daughters favorite song, but he has an incredible voice.)
5. Zac Brown Band (Saw them in concert and LOVED them. They are so talented!)
6. Skillet (They get me all motivated and pumped up to work out, clean, or DO something!)
7. Kutless (Saw them in concert, loved their music and their message.)
8. Laura Story (Her music has depth. She has a beautiful voice, but her words. Oh, her words. They capture the soul.)
9. Eagles (Who is my husbands all time favorite band and because he listens to them all the time, I've also learned to like them as well.)
10. Tim McGraw (I also saw him in concert and I love the fact that he's one Hollywood star that has STAYED married. That alone makes me a fan.)

My playlists are full of Christian, country, blues, and rock, but I also have instrumental, a few raps, and a little bit of everything. I saw this ecard and it made me laugh because it totally fits my tastes in music....

No comments:

Post a Comment