Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tuesday's Top Ten Plus Ten [Favorite Time Periods]

I absolutely love hats, lace, and fashion in general. That is what motivated my first five favorite era's and I could easily see myself dressed up and going to a ball or a jazz dance hall or a speak easy. But there's also specific events in history that fascinate me. Granted, there's things I love about each time period, but there's also something about each that holds unspeakable horror. Unfortunately, it's tragedy and an individuals ability to persevere that influences our interest as a human race, which is also, quite honestly, what inspired a few other of my favorite time periods.

After reading my top ten favorite time periods, be sure to check out Melany's...

1. 1950's There's a lot about this time period that irks me. Our horrific treatment of African Americans is one such example, but there are a few things that make this era a favorite: women weren't expected to uphold an unrealistic Barbie doll weight or height, in fact a little "meat on the bones" was considered attractive.

Also, drive in movies, Elvis, full service gas stations, and then there's the fashion:

 


2. Edwardian Era (1901-1910's) The time of the Titanic, WWI, the women's suffrage movement, and more fashion that I like.

There's just something about these women photographed that capture beauty and grace.

3. The Roaring Twenties This era screams mystery to me. Perhaps it's the speak easy's (and desperately wanting to jump back in time and have one night to go to one) or the mystifying flapper girl (and yes, I love the flapper dress). Not to mention the cloche hat...



I also love jazz music and this is the era for dance halls where dances like the Charleston took off. What's not to love? Well, except for the KKK that roared through the south in this time period. This "secret" organization may be mysterious but I find them infuriating.

4. Romantic (1810-1850) It's the clothes and the ball room dancing. Everything was BIG - the hats, feathers, poofy gowns with silk and lace - I think it's beautiful. Still, if anyone knows me they'd laugh at this because the one time I wore anything even minimally close to a corset was on my wedding day and I got such horrible heartburn that I'd never be caught dead in it again, also I have zero rhythm in my feet. I'd LOVE to be a graceful ballroom dancer, but I don't think those were the cards dealt to me. I'm a klutz.



5. Victorian (1837-1901) Which is caught right in the middle of the "Romantic Era" I listed above. I think the only reason these two era's sound at all appealing is because of the wealthy class and their balls, fancy dresses (minus the corsets), and lax lifestyle consisting of games and books; which I would not have been part of. I would be that girl with many dirty kids and stuck doing their laundry by hand and/or working for the wealthy class and doing their laundry. According to a PlayBuzz Quiz called Would you survive the Victorian Era? I may or may not survive because, "... you probably won't be able to sacrifice all of your modern luxuries." And if I was ever transported back in time they told me I'd have to "work hard to survive." Quite frankly, I believe they hit the nail on the head. I'm spoiled.

6. Speaking of modern luxuries another favorite time period is today's. Each era owns their own problems but I love the modern amenities like indoor plumbing, washers, dryers, dishwashers, laptops, iPads, and wifi.

7. The Little House on the Prairie sentimentalized the late 1800's for me. I loved the idea of living in a cozy log cabin, going to a one roomed school house, and traveling by horse and buggy. Although that lifestyle had to be difficult, I grew up playing "old timey" with my sisters where we'd dress up in long skirts and bonnets. As a child that era was so appealing to me. I guess that interest never waned... perhaps the rugged cowboy ideal that comes from this era is also mixed in a tad with my fascination? ;)

8. The Civil War era is a favorite not because of the tragic loss of American life or the war itself, but because I find the history itself so incredibly interesting. I took an interim class in college on the Civil War and it only peaked my existing interest. There's so many, many stories of individual loss and gain during this time that I can't get enough of it.

9. I can't get enough of the history behind the Dust Bowl either. I think it's because I lived in the panhandle of Oklahoma for many years where I met and heard the stories of individuals who had lived through it. I simply cannot imagine what this must have been like...

10. 1960's and it's not really about the fashion believe it or not. It's because of our history. It was during this era that the Civil Rights movement dominated news feeds as well as space exploration and the Vietnam War. All significant events that I find absolutely fascinating.

I considered becoming a history major in college but settled with English/Language Arts where history still dominated studies. It was impossible to read Shakespeare or  Chaucer or Toni Morrison or Willa Cather poetry without historical knowledge.

Now it's time to get back to my to-do list, this topic has dominated my day. Historical pictures really suck ya in and leave you reading the story behind it and wondering the who's, what's, when's and where's. Not that this has been wasted time, it's just time to move on... until next Tuesday then where we'll be writing about creative costumes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment