Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday's Top Ten Plus Ten [Fashion Statements I Avoid]

There are just some pieces of fashion that do not fit certain body types. I've been told on many occasions that I can wear "whatever" and look "cute" in it. That's an awesome compliment, but the reason I get that compliment is because I avoid the clothing that would make people say otherwise. I wish society would forgo certain fashion pieces for the sake of others, but that won't happen so I'm just going to share what I've decided to give up and why. (Yes, I'm ashamed to admit that I used to adorn some of these fashion faux pas.)

1. String Bikini's. Seriously beginning to hate them, especially after having children. I'm not saying I have a disgusting body and I'm not saying I'm overweight, even in the slightest, but I see the Victoria Secret (modified) pictures of women looking all hot and sexy in them and then I look in the mirror and suddenly think I am fat and ugly (which I'm not).
So I'm going to avoid the bathing suits (or any clothes for that matter) that make me feel bad about my body, when I shouldn't. Plus I'm getting to the point where I just don't want to show off pieces of me that I only want to show to my husband. Still, do you know how hard it was to find a decently priced, cute, and modest swim suit?! It was a nightmare.

2. Low cut shirts. After breastfeeding there wasn't a lot left and I'm positive that will happen to me again. Besides there wasn't a lot there before getting prego, so it's that much more depressing. Even if I had something to show off, not sure I want to go that route anymore. I'll just avoid this trend.

3. Mid-drift shirts with low rise jeans. I don't want to worry about bending over and my butt crack hanging out (why I EVER thought this was something I could avoid while wearing the two is beyond me, sorry to everyone who is forever scarred because I didn't worry about this). Gross.

4. High heels. I LOVE them, but oh my word my feet can't handle them anymore. I have all these adorable shoes I can't get rid of (because I love them) but I rarely wear them (except an hour or so here and there), otherwise my feet ache and are sore for days afterwards. Unfortunately, it's a fashion statement I avoid out of necessity, not by choice.

5. Over accessorizing. First of all, my daughter goes cat-nip-crazy over anything considered pretty, so it's a battle to keep accessories on without losing them to little hands, but sometimes too much is too much. I'm just not a fan of too much.

6. Tights as pants. Melany and I wrote about 10 reasons why we think everyone should avoid this, so without going into too much detail here, check out what I wrote (with the help of my husband): Ten Reasons Tights are NOT Pants.

7. Anything too small. I don't know why I thought it was okay to try and pull off anything that was too small. It's not comfy by any stretch of the imagination cause I'm constantly worrying about what I'm showing off and it's hard to bend over to tie my shoe for pete's sake. Here's a good rule to keep: wear clothing that fits properly (duh!). And why, BTW, is anything that shows off our worst features (like love handles) even considered fashionable?!

8. Too much makeup. Too much of anything is, well, too much (see #5). And too much make up makes one look like you belong in the capital of Panem hanging out alongside Effie Trinket (Hunger Games reference).
I'm all for showing off your natural beauty, and like everything we put on, make up can bring out the best (or worst) in women.

9. Short Shorts. I fail to understand the comfort of shorts that reveal personal features. Fact: a couple inches added to your shorts will not determine the state of your body temperature! You will not overheat wearing shorts with a decent length. (If your pockets, buttocks, or underwear hang out, consider this a fashion statement to avoid.)

10. These days I try to avoid anything too trendy. I want a piece I can wear out because it's timeless. Cardigans, lace, simple t's, boot cut jeans, are all timeless and are pieces I collect. Crazy prints, hair-do's, and neon colors (for example) are trends that won't last long. If I'm going to spend money on clothing (like a pair of 100% cotton jeans) then I'm going to purchase a pair I can wear year after year after year....

Although I know it's inevitable, I don't want to look back and cringe, "I can't believe I wore that..." Sooooo this top ten refers to a few of my fashion statements I avoid to avoid making that statement later in life.

Miss Melany has more to add so don't miss out on her top ten fashion statements she avoids and why.
Our next topic is similar to this one, "Fashion Statements I Wish Never Went Out of Style!" Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment