Friday, April 4, 2014

Traditional Bahamian Meal [Smudder Fish]

On our trip to the Bahamas to visit my sister and her husband (and my new little niece of course), Kyle and I asked for traditional Bahamian meals and they delivered with a more than satisfying selection; and by satisfying I mean "I-couldn't-get-enough-it-was-so-yummy." After every meal I asked for the recipe, so David sang this cooking mantra that helped me remember the basic ingredients of most Bahamian dishes, "thyme, cilantro, butter, and lime!" I repeated this mantra often and ate so many fantastic dishes containing these key ingredients that my desire to share these recipes with you became so great I couldn't sleep our first night back in the states and I was also very excited to include them in our daily menu plan. 

After this trip I have to admit that cilantro is my favorite spice and I now agree that lime goes with everything, even atop your bagel! Yes, it sounds strange, but these people pour fresh lime juice on EVERYTHING. We went through at least 5 limes a meal! There were never any leery moments because everything was so picturesque and tasted so fantastic I gorged myself (exception for me was conch salad because I witnessed the writhing of the poor slug as they cut into it, insert a "that-did-it-for-me" face here). Other than that, I'm sold: thyme, cilantro, butter, and lime!

I spent a bit of time trying to convince David, a wonderful cook, to write a cook book containing these amazing, traditional Bahamian dishes, but I think he was unconvinced. Hopefully by sharing a FEW of them with you he'll get the encouragement he needs and become rich enough to purchase a 135 foot yacht we had the privilege to tour. ;) 

Smudder Fish


1 lb fish (We used mahi because that's what my hubby caught and brought back with him.)

Juice from 5 large limes
1 Medium Onion
2 Tomatoes
Fresh Cilantro
4-8 Tbsp Butter (Depending on your preference, we used 4.)

Serve with rice and vegetable.

Before putting it in the oven.
Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan and place your fish inside. Smother the fish in lime juice and chunks of onion, tomatoes, cilantro and butter. Place in the oven at 350 until the fish comes out white. (Sorry they gave no specific time, just to constantly check on it.) 

Oh my word the juice is fantastic, so smother your rice and vege's in it. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment