Monday, May 18, 2015

This helped me avoid nausea during the first trimester...


I had two particularly awful days where I really screwed two things up:

1. Water. With this pregnancy I have cotton mouth like no other, which made my gag reflexes ultra sensitive. I'm not a fan of drinking plain water so I find it difficult to drink it consistently throughout my day. Typically, I chug the recommended amount (seriously) and enjoy drinks like Earl Grey tea in between. I could not do that with pregnancy. If I drink water constantly, it helps keep nausea at bay.

2. Not skipping meals. This seems like a no brainer, but when nothing sounded good I just wouldn't eat anything. I learned the hard way that it was way better for me to eat slowly (even if I didn't enjoy it) than to skip a meal altogether. In fact, eating every 1 or 2 hours was the best thing I could've done for myself. One day I woke up to a juice (see #5) and a bowl of oatmeal. I couldn't stomach the oatmeal, so I tried something else (to no avail). As a result I was behind a meal and spent the rest of the day trying to catch up. It was not a good day. Those days happen, but hindsight, I should've gagged down the oatmeal.

As the days went slowly on, I realized that these two things alone weren't cutting it. I was still nauseous. So I asked for some advice from some of my friends and family who had been prego many times before me, here's some of the suggestions that worked: (The frustrating part about this list is that one would work one time and wouldn't the next, but I hope there's something in this list that gives you some relief!)

3. Peppermint. I had peppermint candies on hand to suck on. They're definitely a stomach calmer. BUT the ultimate "cure" for nausea was peppermint essential oil. I just dabbed a bit behind my ears when I felt super nauseous and it helped me avoid throwing up.

4. Sea Bands. I especially appreciated these when I rode in the car for any period of time.

5. Juicing. This, I believed, played the biggest role in keeping nausea away. I woke up in the morning to a juice, water and some saltines. Then I ate breakfast. If I woke up in the middle of the night with nausea, I again juiced, drank water and ate some saltines. Every time I felt nauseous I believe it was because my body was craving the nutrients that a juicer provides. I knew I needed fruits and vegetables, but sometimes it was hard to chew them. Juicing them was so much easier for me. A drink was tolerable to my gagging reflexes when chewing wasn't. Juicing saved me. Here's a few of my favorite mixes:
  • 2 Carrots + 1 Orange
  • 1 Carrot + 1 Apple + 1/4 C. Pineapple + Mint Leaves
  • 1 Apple + 1 Orange + 1 small Lime + Mint Leaves
6. Saltines. These gems proved time and time again worthy of being named the #1 recommended sick food. When my stomach was churning, I'd eat a couple of these and enjoyed the instant results.

7. Ginger Ale. Ginger works wonders on ale-ing tummies. I was glad - on more than one occasion - to have this around.

8. Chicken Broth. Warmed up, ready to drink chicken broth may sound disgusting, but it was a life saver on many days when eating proved difficult. Add saltines and you have a stomach calmer-downer. There were many, many occasions that chewing was more difficult that simply swallowing liquids. This provided substance and helped more times than I can possibly count.

9. Magnesium. This article got me interested in adding magnesium to my daily routine. Even after constantly snacking, juicing, munching on saltines, drinking lots of water, sucking on peppermint candies, &etc. I still had bad days. Evenings proved the most difficult and dinner was the hardest meal of the day to swallow. Even if I had one good day the next day was not. My body needed something else, so when I read this article I was convinced that this was at least worth a shot. I was 7 weeks in, had been enduring 3 weeks of sickness, and was counting down the first trimester flu. With Briella Bean I was sick up until 14 weeks. I did not want another 7 weeks of feeling like this! I can't say whether or not it actually worked, but curiosity alone made me try it.


10. Snacking. If my stomach was empty... oh man... it was horrible. Once it was empty, I was sick. Once I was sick, it was hard to eat. When I couldn't eat, it became extremely difficult to catch up. An empty tummy was the worst possible thing while prego.

11. Probiotic Enzyme. This particular item was also a lifesaver. I took one after every meal (it helps promote nutrient absorption which is what many mommy's are lacking - nutrients). Get this. I'm beyond thankful a friend got it for me. (Plus, this one tasted super yummy.)


12. This is going to sound super weird, but I could not stand to swallow prenatal pills. I spent the entire day gagging over the residual fish taste in my mouth. It was awful. So my sweet husband purchased the chewable prenatals and that saved the day! I don't know why I wasn't gagging on a nasty fishy burp with the chewables vs the pill, but it made all the difference in nausea. Seriously.

During that first trimester I was constantly reading about morning sickness this and morning sickness that (desperately trying to find relief). I was more sick in the evening that I ever was in the morning, with both pregnancies. Thankfully, each of these items listed helped make the flu like symptoms tolerable. I'm sure that other momma's have things they could add to this list and I encourage you to do so in the comment section. If I can help just one mommy avoid nausea, I'd say this post was well worth it.

If you're reading this a congratulations is in order! And if you're anything like me during the first trimester - ha - well, prayer is your best friend. 
Add that to the list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment