Friday, August 3, 2018

My Martha Week

I truly believe that our service to others reveals what we know and believe about Jesus. Jesus lived to serve. This is a prevalent truth throughout the gospels, especially Mark where the theme is: Jesus as a servant. There are so many examples of His service that we could be here all day, so let's just narrow in on a couple:

Jesus took the form of a servant and washed His disciples feet, telling them that He just gave them an example of how to live,
"Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should do just as I have done to you." John 13:12-14
Most importantly, His service to others went so far as dying on the cross,
"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to served and to give his life as a ransom for many." Mark 10:45
Before this amazing statement He told His disciples that to be great in His world means to be a servant. That to be first is to put yourself last; He went as far as using the word slave. (Mark 10:43-44) If we - like His disciples - call ourselves a follower of Jesus Christ, how we live our life is evidence of our belief in Him. The more we know Jesus, the more we should desire to be Christ-like, and that means to take up our cross, deny self, and serve - putting self last.

So how does this correlate with the story of Martha in Luke 10:38-42?
"Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."
Martha was rebuked for her service. Why? When we are called to be servants, why was she reprimanded? Especially when, at this time a woman would not have been allowed to join the men in listening to a Teacher teach. Consider Martha's heart: Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things. Serving in this instance gave her anxiety that troubled her soul. Her priorities were all out of whack. Jesus was teaching! This is an opportunity Mary knew not to miss. Martha, just stop and listen. And then you'll be better at serving because your heart - your motives - will be in the right place and your priorities in the right order.

What does this have to do with my week?
I had a Martha week. My priorities were all out of whack. I filled up my schedule with serving others (which is not a bad thing) but I did it at the expense of time in the Bible, at the expense of my husband, my children, and our home. Those things that should be a priority, were pushed away as I filled up my days running around becoming anxious and troubled about the lack of time in Scripture, the lack of time spent serving my husband, and the time spent with my children, but not really with them. So all those things that I did were worth nothing, I might as well throw them away. Why?

My heart was not in the right place.

Since my reward is in heaven, and God judges the secrets of the heart, those works were worthless in light of eternity.

I learned so much because of that week, where I accidentally double booked two days because of my lack of attention to details, which caused me to go back and cancel or reschedule with many people. My selfishness didn't just affect me, it affected many, many others - most importantly it was a reflection of my true priorities.

When God is #1, the rest miraculously falls into place, especially service to others.

God has called Christians to serve. Serve your family. Serve each other. Serve those in need. Serve for the glory of God. To see serving as a calling - the last "step" of discipleship that reveals what Jesus did is what we - as His followers - must also do. We disciple others. We seek Jesus, follow Jesus, serve like Jesus. In the span of eternity, a couple hours per week to serve others is nothing, a few hours a month is nothing - and I highly encourage you to find a way to serve others, just not for the sake of your priorities. See serving in the light of eternity - not just to glorify the One who served us, but to bless others, and reveal that what we believe about His service is true. A truth planted down deep in our heart. 

I know it's hard to find time for a few hours when our lives are crazy, but if it's too crazy to dedicate say just two hours of service to others, is it too crazy? Just don't become a Martha, so caught up in serving that you miss the point: Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. And let the rest fall into it's proper place.

No comments:

Post a Comment