Monday, July 21, 2014

ThredUp "Cleanout" Review

ThredUp is an online consignment store that offers women a chance to clean out their closet, get paid for their clothing, and purchase perfectly wear-able used clothing for a fraction of the cost. It's a great concept and I love what they have to offer. I've written a couple of raving reviews about them: Shout Out to ThredUp and I FINALLY Found MY Little Black Dress.

Unfortunately, there were a few reviews on ThredUp's "clean out your closet" side of business that were not as enthusiastic. A few of my friends warned me about ThredUp's cheating their customers, so I decided to do a bit of experimenting.

I dug through my closet and pulled out items that were in perfect condition, no flaws, spots, missing accessories and were designer brands (Victoria Secret, Old Navy, &etc.). I put these items in the bag with one item I received at Victoria Secret for free: a sleep, thred-bare, t-shirt. It was the only item I received money for; and I got a whole measly .75.

Apparently their "experts" did not think the Old Navy blazer I threw in the bag, as one example, (that was in prime condition and was originally $40) was worth any money.
I got nothing for it.

There were a few other similar items like this. I didn't risk too much knowing the existing reviews on this particular side of ThredUp's business.

In short, I wasn't impressed. I also wasn't surprised. If you're looking to make money by selling your clothes, do not do it through ThredUp.

BUT, here's the other side of the story. According to the email I received, IF these items sell I will receive a portion of the profits. We shall see.

I won't stop shopping at ThredUp, because if that is the case, women are hoping that someone, somewhere purchases an item so they can make a bit of $$$. Also, I truly believe it's decently priced items. The condition in which they're packed and received is worth the time to look. I rarely purchase anything these days unless it's at a thrift store, in a clearance rack, or an unbeatable coupon.

So, I do recommend checking them out if you're looking for a new-to-you closet (here's $10 to try it out), but if you want to clean out your closet, consider the items donated.

No comments:

Post a Comment