Wednesday, October 23, 2013

'Tis the Season {To Be Thankful!}

Thanks be to my sister Mel who initiated a plan to start a daily thankful journal, who was consistent in doing it daily, and who holds me accountable to be thankful in all circumstances every single day. It helps me on days like today, when I'm in this awful, weird, unexplainable funk. This attitude of mine is making me feel melancholy and unmotivated to even step foot out of my front door. Most of the time music helps me, or reading the Bible helps me, or prayer helps me, but today that funk seems to be seething every fiber of my being and so I'm forcing myself to find 5 things to be grateful for right now, it is the season after all. 

There's been many times since February of this year, when we started this "Thankful Journal Journey," that we've joked, "I had to really dig deep today!" and I'm thinking today is one of those days. Still, i'ts wonderful to be able to look back and see the changes that have taken place as a result of thinking positively and being grateful in all circumstances, even days like today. So today, despite my funk, I'm thanking God for all my blessings including...

  1. Songs like "Consume Me" by D.C. Talk. Lord, consume me, especially in moments like this when I'm irritated with how my jeans don't fit, or Brielle emptying the laundry basket because I haven't put the clothes away yet, or that the dishes are still dirty after running the dishwasher, or my messy house that I feel like I'm constantly picking up. Change my attitude, make me more like YOU. Thank you for songs like "Consume Me" that remind me to immerse myself in You. 
  2. I've already filled a journal, so thank you Lord that I have enough blessings to fill these pages and then some. Today marks the day I need to buy a new one. Is it odd that I'm super excited about that?
  3. Thank you for hot green tea and places like goodreads.com and Pinterest that force me to sit down, relax, and enjoy something - but then make me feel guilty for accomplishing absolutely nothing. CURSE YOU PINTEREST!
  4. For friends like Deb and birthday celebrations, which also means I get to shop for a present. Hehe.
  5.  The book Ghastlies, Goops, & Pincushions by X.J. Kennedy is definitely a mood booster, especially this poem:
My Scottish great-granduncle Milt's
Favorite sport is to climb up on stilts
And then stand on his head,
Which arouses great dread
And the warning, "Don't do that in kilts!"


No comments:

Post a Comment